Do you want to root the OnePlus 7T? If yes, then you are in the right place. OnePlus series offers great features or functionality at a budget price. Also, you’ll get access to flagship hardware that makes it very fun after rooting your device. The OnePlus bootloader of the 7T can be unlocked very easily and you can’t face any major problems or resistance whenever you plan to root this mobile.
Root OnePlus 7T – HowTo
Rooting is a technique of gaining access to your mobile root directory to change its behavior. However, the directory is locked by your developer so that hackers can’t access this directory. While it is the best choice for all users. Power users or hackers on the other hand often feel betrayed.
You can also root the OnePlus 7T in two different ways.
This method is the best and commonly used method to root your OnePlus 7T. It follows the old way of using a custom recovery to install or download Magisk on your phone.
This is an older way that works flawlessly for many users. If you don’t like to mess with your current setup, then this technique is the best option for you.
Note: Make sure that you must take proper backup of all your confidential data or settings before moving with the steps below. However, these techniques can’t affect your data, there is a little chance that your data can get corrupted.
Let’s take a look at these two easy methods. You can follow with the one that best suits your requirements.
Also See: How to Uninstall TWRP to Default Stock Recovery
Root Via TWRP
Note: Before you proceed further, turn off the pin, password, and fingerprint on your device. If you use any third-party apps then turn them off as well. Basically, anything that has encrypted data saved on your mobile needs to either be erased or disabled for the whole process.
- Initiate by turning on Android debugging on your device.
- Then use the above link to download or install Magisk and Magisk Manager onto your local storage.
- Now plug your device into the computer.
- Now if you are first time executing Platform SDK tools on your PC. You can then initiate after extracting or unzipping them to a convenient location. Now transfer your TWRP file to the same folder.
- Then tap on the address bar in the Platform SDK folder, input in ‘CMD’, and then hit press ‘Enter’.
- Once done, it’ll successfully open the Windows Command Prompt in your recent directory. When Android debugging turned on and 7T successfully connected to your PC. Then input in ‘ADB devices’ and press enter.
- Now you’ll see your connected OnePlus 7T in the ADB devices list.
Note: If your device can’t display up in the list. Then access the notification shade on your mobile and make sure that ‘File Transfer’ is chosen as your USB mode. Some devices that can’t get recognized have ‘MTP’ enabled.
- You’ve now verified that your device is being recognized by the PC. Just input in ‘ADB reboot bootloader’ and press Enter. This will successfully reboot your mobile into the Fastboot mode.
Note: When the device fails to recognize the command, you might want to update your drivers from the OnePlus site.
- Once the device successfully reboots and Windows recognizes the device as connected, input in the following command in CMD.
“fastboot boot “xxxx” ”
- Simply replace “xxxx” using the TWRP path on the local storage of your PC. You can then directly drag and drop the file in CMD which will successfully add the file path to your command line.
- Hit ‘Enter’ when you are done.
This technique will only boot you from TWRP. But the utility will not be installed on your mobile. This is a safe way that works without affecting the recovery partition on your device. But if you really want to add TWRP to your recovery partition permanently, then head over to the section at the end of this article.
- Now your device will restart or reboot with TWRP. Wait until the process complete and your device gets recognized by your PC after reboot.
- Then swipe on the first screen to continue with the TWRP installation on your handset.
Note: As of the new TWRP release, you can’t mount Vendors or System partitions. You can still access your local storage which will let you root your OnePlus or add custom ROMS. Please remember that this means that you can’t take proper backup of your data via TWRP. All you need to do is to use other services to perform a backup or recovery of all your data.
- When TWRP is successfully set up, click on ‘Install’.
- Now you’ll see the local storage of your mobile. Head over to the folder where you have downloaded Magisk 20.4.
Tip: If you can’t modify the download directory then Magisk will be in the ‘Download’ folder.
- Just click on the Magisk 20.4 .zip file and swipe to flash it to your PC.
- Now TWRP will flash the necessary files to your mobile and you can access the root directory on your mobile.
- When the installation is successfully complete, Wipe Dalvik/cache for your system.
- Once the wipe is complete, reboot your OnePlus mobile.
- Once your device is successfully rebooted. Simply access the local storage on your mobile and install or download the Magisk Manager .apk on your device.
You might want to turn on installation from unwanted sources.
- When the file is successfully installed. Head over to Magisk from your app drawer, and your mobile should appear as rooted.
Also See: How to Perform Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T Root
Patched Boot .img file
Download/Install canary Magisk manager file or patched-boot image file from the below section:
- Patched boot image file: Download it as per your current software variant and region
Mandatory, if required:
Steps To Root OnePlus 7T Without TWRP
- Make sure you’ve unlocked the bootloader of your device.
- Then turn on USB Debugging on your OnePlus 7T by moving over to Developer Options in Settings.
- Plug your device into the PC using a USB cable.
- Head over to the folder containing the patched boot image on your computer. Then launch a command window in Windows (Terminal on macOS) in that folder. However, it can be opened after clicking typing ‘cmd’ in the folder’s window address bar Then hit enter. Mac users can also use Spotlight to search and open Terminal and simply drag the folder using the boot image into the Terminal window.
- Execute the following command to boot your device into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
Steps To Install An Update & Keep Root:
- Before installing or downloading a firmware update, keep in mind you turn off all Magisk modules.
- Move to Settings > System update and then click on the Settings icon located in the top right corner.
- Then tap on ‘Local upgrade‘ and choose the OTA .zip file required for installing the update.
- Once chosen, tap ‘Install‘.
- The update will take a few minutes to install.
- Do NOT reboot.
- Head over to Magisk Manager.
- In the Magisk Manager, move to Install > Install > Direct Install.
- In the same app, tap on Install/Install/Inactive Slot.
- Then manually reboot the OnePlus 7T.
That’s all about it.
Here’s all about ‘Root OnePlus 7T’. Is this guide helpful? Which rooting method do you like? Let us know your thoughts about rooting the OnePlus 7T in the comments section below!