Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full”
However, the error “scratch disks are full” in Photoshop normally occurs when there is no memory space available on your PC to save Photoshop’s temporary files. Simply when this error takes place, Photoshop either crashes or doesn’t load at all.
Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full”
Few things are there that you are also able to do to fix this “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop. However, this includes allowing Photoshop to use more RAM. And removing the temporary files to regain your memory space.
Clear Memory Space On Your Computer
Similarly, When the above error takes place, so then the first thing to do is remove all the junk files from your PC. However, this will free-up your memory space that Photoshop is able to also then use to save temporary files.
Check Your Storage On Windows
- First of all, you have to head to the Settings app.
- Tap System on the following screen.
- Choose Storage to view your PC’s storage details.
- You will also view that what’s occupying what amount of memory. This will help you decide what to remove.
Check Your Storage On Mac
- Tap the Apple logo at the top-left corner and select About This Mac.
- Now you must have to tap Storage at the top and select Manage.
- It will show what content is utilizing what amount of space as well as provide suggestions to free-up memory.
Delete Photoshop Temporary Files
However, Photoshop creates & also saves the temporary files on your storage. Similarly, these files can also be securely deleted after you have closed Photoshop. This supports you to regain some of your memory space.
- Here first of all you have to press the Windows + R keys at the exact time to open Run. Then type the following into it, & press Enter.
- Simply when the temporary folder opens, you must find the files named Photoshop or PST.
- Now right-click those files and choose Delete.
- Right-click the Recycle Bin on your desktop & choose Empty Recycle Bin.
- On Mac, you should use Spotlight to search for temporary files and remove them.
Alter The Scratch Disk On Startup
Whether you must have assigned enormous scratch disks to Photoshop. You can basically switch b/w them on Photoshop’s startup. However, this solution works great when Photoshop does not open as a result of the “scratch disks are full” error.
- Firstly, on Windows, you must have to organize Photoshop and press & hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys at the exact time.
- Just on Mac, open Photoshop and press & hold down the Command and Option keys concurrently.
- Choose a new scratch disk from the Startup scroll-down menu and tap OK.
Change The Scratch Disk Drive In Photoshop to Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full”
Similarly by default, Photoshop just uses your operating system’s drive as the scratch disk. Whether you have enormous drives or partitions, you are also able to get Photoshop to use them and avoid the “scratch disks are full” error.
- Here Organise the Photoshop on your PC.
- Tap the Photoshop menu at the top, choose Preferences, and choose Performance.
- Turn on & Turn off scratch disks in the Scratch Disks section.
Disable The Auto Recovery Feature In Photoshop
Photoshop consistently stores your files as you work on them. But this also increases the amount of memory it uses on your PC. Whether auto-recovery saving is not much use to you, you can turn off it to save some space on your scratch disks.
- Organize the Photoshop on your machine.
- Tap Photoshop at the top, choose Preferences, & select File Handling.
- Untick the box that says Automatically Save Recovery Info Every.
Let Photoshop Use More RAM
One way to resolve the scratch disk problems with Photoshop is to permit Photoshop to utilize more RAM. This will let it save more temporary files on the RAM space on your scratch disks.
- First of all, you have to Photoshop on your PC.
- Tap the Photoshop option at the top, choose Preferences, and choose Performance.
- Now on the right-hand side pane, you will view a box labeled as Let Photoshop Use. In the box next to this option, then you have to just enter the amount of RAM that you want for Photoshop to use. Then tap OK.
Remove The Photoshop Cache Files
Well, each and every time you can make a change to an image in Photoshop, a previous unchanged version of your image is also stored as a cache file on your PC. However, these files eventually grow and begin to take too much of your memory space.
You are also able to clear these cache files to possibly solve the scratch disk error. But at the cost of not being able to revert conversions for your image.
- Simply access Photoshop on your machine.
- Then tap the Edit menu at the top, choose Purge, and select All. This will remove all the Photoshop cache files.
Reset The Values For Crop Tool
Well, the crop tool in Photoshop able to allow you to crop your photos by your specified size. Whether you select the wrong units whilst specifying the size, say selecting centimeters instead of pixels. Though you end-up making your image exceedingly large.
However, that image occupies a very large amount of memory space which causes the “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop.
- Simply access the crop tool in Photoshop and delete any values from the provided boxes.
- When you guys enter any values, then use pixels as the unit whenever possible.
Defrag Your Hard Drive to Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full”
Similarly, it is worth defragging your scratch disk drive in Windows in order to get some continuous memory space for Photoshop just to use. This should also support you to get rid of the scratch disk error in the application.
- Now you must search for Defrag in the Start Menu search & click Defragment and Optimize Drives.
- You will also view your hard drive partitions listed on the following screen. Choose the one that you use as your scratch disk & tap the Optimize button.
Reset Photoshop Preferences
Whether you have made loads of conversions to your Photoshop preferences. However, one or many of those tweaked options probably be causing the problem. Just resetting the Photoshop preferences to the defaults should resolve this for you.
- Now you have to quit Photoshop on your PC.
- Press & hold down the Shift + Ctrl + Alt (Windows) or Shift + Command + Option (Mac) and organize the Photoshop.
- You will get a prompt asking whether you want to remove the Photoshop settings file. Tap Yes to remove the files
Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full” – Conclusion
However, the error “scratch disks are full” in Photoshop normally occurs when there is no memory space available on your PC to save Photoshop’s temporary files. Simply when this error takes place, Photoshop either crashes or doesn’t load at all. In this guide you have learned the way to Fix the Error in Photoshop: “Scratch Disks Are Full”. If you face any issues or have any queries so then you can also ask us in the comments section below.