How To Compare Contents Of Two Folders In Windows 10?
In this article, you will learn that how you Compare the Contents Of Two Folders. In case of your synchronizing directories or backing up. This is actually a good idea in order to double-check and that can then copy it. Now you have made it actually identical to the original. Also, it is possible for issues so that can occur where the data does not copy across perfectly. Then this has some data that doesn’t copy across at all.
By using this sort of copy failure so that it can happen to an important document. Also, you do not notice it. Now you could also end up with data loss. If the WinMerge is a tool that can allow you to compare the contents of two directories. Then you can also see if there are any missing files or if any of the backed-up files. Some of them are different from the originals. Now the guidelines will walk you through installing and then use it with the WinMerge in order to compare the files in two folders.
Compare Contents Of Two Folders using The WinMerge:
Due to this, you can also install the WinMerge for free from their website here. You Just have to click on the green Download Now button that is available in the top right corner to download it from SourceForge. When the installer can download it then double-click on it in order to start the installation wizard.
By using the first page of the installer is the license agreement. You have to click on the Next in order to agree and then continue it. In the case of the second page, it can also allow you to configure it. By using these features you have to install it. Now all the extensions can enable and there is no real reason to turn them off. After that, you just have to leave these options as they are. In this case, if you want to install an extra language pack. Now you can select one or more of the many options. By this, it is in the language list at the bottom. You can also leave all the plugins that can enable and then select a language pack if you want one.
Process of WinMerge:
When you have selected the features that you want. Then click on the Next option in order to continue. By using the next page you can also cover the additional tasks. So, Here is there that are checkboxes in order to enable the File Explorer context menu integration. This can also allow you to launch WinMerge from the right-click menu File Explorer. By using the other options that can include in creating a desktop shortcut and then by adding a WinMerge to your system path. In which you can leave it as disabled. When you have selected which features then you want to enable and then click on the Next in order to continue.
By using the final page you just have to show that this is what the options you have selected. Now you can double-check on them and then you can hit on the Install button. In order to begin the installation process. When the installation has completed and then you will also see a short message from the developers. After that click on the Next button in order to skip it and then click on the Finish to close the installer and then launch WinMerge.
When the WinMerge is open then you have to press the Control+O hotkey combo to open a new comparison. In order to select a folder, you have to click on the Browse… which is on the far right just under the 1st File or Folder bar. To Use the browse feature in order to select a folder that you want to compare. After that click on the Browse in order to select which folder you want to compare.
Steps To compare the contents of two folders:
This is in the browser window then you can need to enter the folder you want to compare and then click on the Open. In this case, if you can only select it but they don’t enter the folder so that you want to compare. Now the browse window will enter the folder for you. After that, you have selected it in the first folder and then repeat the process for the second folder below it. When you have selected then both of the folders that you want to compare and then ensure that both of them are the Read-only and checkboxes are ticked. After that, you can also need in order to make sure that the Folder Filter is set to the default *.* to compare all files.
- When you have completed and then the setting up the comparison, and then click on the Compare.
- You can also configure the comparison and then click on the Compare.
- By using the large folders it can also contain a lot of files and subdirectories. Now the comparison process may take a while to complete. When it has completed and then you will see a list of all the files in the folders. So, this is by default that the results of the table list: in the filename, the path of a subdirectory. It also includes the result of the comparison and the edit dates of the file in both of the folders and the file extension for each file in the compared folders.
- After that, the results table can also list the file details and the comparison result.
- Remember that you can also change which columns appear by right-clicking on a column that is the header and then clicking on the Customize Columns….
- It is also possible that the comparison can result in the show. So, if files or folders are identical or different. In this case, the comparison says a file that is Right only. Now, this is means that the file or folder was only in the second folder. That can be compared and not the first. So, the conversely that can Leave only means the file or folder was only in the first folder being compared.
- These are very different results that are color-coded in order to make spotting them easier. Using a white background means the files are identical. Then the yellow background means the files are different and then a grey background means the files are only in one of the two folders being compared.
- In this case, you can easily double-click on a folder. So, that it will expand to reveal its contents. Then double-click on a file and it will open a side by side comparison and will highlight the differences. If any of the difference exists between the two files.
- Then double-click on a file that will open both of the copies in a side by side view. This will also highlight any differences.
- Also, it will have a large number of files that it may be convenient to hide all of the files that are identical. You just have to make it easier in order to identify differences. In order to do so, you just have to click on the View that is available in the top bar. After that, you can then and then untick and Show identical items just by clicking on it.
At The End:
- Then tap on the Select Files or Folders tab in the far left in order to start a new comparison.
- Now each of the comparisons that you run opens in a new tab. In order to start a new comparison, you have to click on the Select Files or Folders tab in the far left. After that, you can change the targets and then click on the Compare again. In this case, if you only want to update the existing comparison. Then you can click the refresh icon on the far right or you can press the F5 key.
So, this is all about to compare the contents of two folders
This is actually a good idea in order to double-check and that can then copy it. Now you have made it actually identical to the original. Also, it is possible for issues so that can occur where the data does not copy across perfectly. Then this has some data that doesn’t copy across at all. By using this sort of copy failure so that it can happen to an important document. Also, you do not notice it. Now you could also end up with data loss.
Related Articles: How To Fix It If Discord Video Not Working?
Hope you like the compare contents of the two folders article!