How To Fix “Could Not Find This Item” Error?
Today you will learn how to fix the “Could Not Find This Item” Error. Most of the time if Windows will also show you a strange error message. If you try to delete a file. Now, The message that reads “could not find this item”. Then it will also prevent you from deleting the file. Now, this is pretty obvious if you are trying to delete something. So, that this will already exist on your machine but the error says otherwise.
So, There are many reasons why your machine is also failing to detect the file. Then it should also let you delete it. When you fix these underlying issues, then you can also get rid of the file from your computer.
How To Use Command Prompt To Fix “Could Not Find This Item” Error?
In case, if you are having trouble using File Explorer. You have to delete your file then one option is to use the Command Prompt. This wil also having some different several commands and then work with your file system. Also, one of these will let you delete files from your storage.
So, You can also use these commands and then retrieve your directory contents. You can also get rid of your chosen file from the list.
- You have to search for Command Prompt by using the Cortana search. Then you can also click on a Run as administrator to open it in admin mode.
- Then your Command Prompt window will also go to the directory. If the file that you want to delete is located. You have to Use the CD command that will follow just by the directory path to get to your directory.
- When you are available in your selected directory. Then run the following command to view a list of all files in it. dir
- After that, you should also see the name of the problematic file in the list.
- Now, Type the following command, and then press on Space. You have to type the name of the file if you want to delete it. Then hit Enter. After that, you have to delete a file named myfile.txt, you would enter: del myfile.txt
- In case, if you are deleting a file that also has some of the spaces available in its name. Then enclose the file name with double quotes.
- Now, The file will also delete this without a prompt.
How To Rename The File By Using Command Prompt that is Before Deleting It?
Most of the time the reason that you get the “could not find this item” error is just because of your file name. This is too long to be handled by your system. Then most of the cases, if you can also first shorten the name to delete the file. So, You can also use the Command Prompt to rename your file as follows.
- You have to Launch a Command Prompt window that is with admin privileges on your PC.
- Then Use the CD command and then to get to the directory. If your file is located.
- Then note down the full name of your file. So, you will be using it in command.
- After that, type the following command into the Command Prompt and press Enter. ren oldname.ext newname.ext
ren – this is the short form for rename
oldname.ext – To replace this with the current name of your file
newname.ext – Now, replace this with the new name for your file
- When the file is also renamed, then you will also use File Explorer to access and delete it. Now, this should also delete without any issues this time around.
How To Delete Files That Have No Extension?
Most of the problematic files have no extensions. So, this will also make it really difficult to delete them from a Command Prompt window. Then there is a command that you can also use to delete all the files inside of a folder without knowing their extensions.
- You have to open a Command Prompt window on your computer.
- Then Navigate to the folder if your file is also located by using the CD command.
- Now, type this in the following command and press Enter. del *.*
- So, All files that are inside the folder will be removed.
How To Delete The Folder Containing The File?
In case, if you will still delete the file and this will also keep throwing the “could not find this item” error. So, you can also try deleting the folder instead. After that, removes the folder as well as all files in it. It includes in the problematic file.
- You have to open a Command Prompt window on your PC.
- Then type in the following command, and then press Space. You have to enter the full path to the folder if you want to delete it. Then enclose it with double-quotes, and then hit Enter. rmdir /s
- So, You will also get a prompt just by asking if you really want to delete the folder. You have to type y and then press Enter to confirm your action.
- Now, You can also use the /q parameter that is with the above command. You have to skip the deletion prompt. This will also remove the file without asking if you really want to do it.
To Kill The Process That May Be Using The File:
So, there may be a program just by running on your computer. Now, this is also using your file in some way. You have To ensure that it is not the culprit. Then you should also kill the program process using Task Manager and then try to delete the file.
- You have to Right-click on your taskbar and then select Task Manager.
- Then click on the Processes tab at the top.
- Now, Find the process that you think is interfering with your deletion process. Then right-click on it and then select End task to kill the process.
- After that, You can also try deleting your file and it should delete without issues.
How To Create An Archive & Delete The Files To Fix could not find this item?
In case, if you have used WinRAR and you have to create archives on your computer. So, before, you will probably know it will also allow you to delete your files. Now, after this, it is an archive that is made. Then you can also use the same option to delete the file. So, that you have to keep throwing the “could not find this item” error.
Now, The idea here is to make a new archive just by using your problematic file. This will also let the WinRAR delete your file after the archive has been made.
- You have to download and then install the WinRAR app on your computer.
- Then Right-click on the file that if you want to delete and then select Add to archive. This will also let you create a new archive using selected files.
- So, The following screen will also let you configure how your archive is to be created. Now, You will also find an option so there that will also says that Delete files after archiving. Then Tick-mark the box, and then customize other options as if you like, and then click on OK at the bottom.
- So, this will also create a new archive containing your file. This is your actual problematic file that will be deleted. Now, you can delete the archive as well just by right-clicking on it and then by selecting the Delete option.
This is also an out-of-the-box idea and should work in most cases.
How To Use DelinvFile To Get Around The “Could Not Find This Item” Error?
The File deletion issues also have long existed on Windows computers. So, there are also have some of the other apps that will help you to deal with them. This is one of these that is DelinvFile and this will also let you delete files that you can’t delete by yourself.
So, You can also use it to get rid of the problematic files from your PC.
- You have to Install the DelinvFile app on your PC.
- Then Launch the app and also navigate to the directory. If your file is located. Now, click on your file so it is also selected.
- Then click on the button that will also say that Delete File or Folder to start deleting your file.
- Now, You will also see a prompt asking to confirm your action. Then click on Yes to continue deleting your file.
Now, The message that reads “could not find this item”. Then it will also prevent you from deleting the file. Now, this is pretty obvious if you are trying to delete something. So, that this will already exist on your machine but the error says otherwise. Also, if it gets frustrating if you are constantly bombarded with the “could not find this item” error while deleting a file. Would you ever have to go through this error on your PC? Also, How would you overcome it? So, We would like to know in the comments below.