How to Fix If iTunes Home Sharing Not Working
iTunes Home Sharing basically allows you to share and stream your iTunes library over your home network actually. You can also access music, movies, TV shows, Podcasts, and Audiobooks across different devices. For example iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and even Apple TV. Lately, some of the users have reported that their iTunes Home Sharing feature is not working properly and there is actually nothing they can do about it. We are going to discuss How to Fix If iTunes Home Sharing Not Working.
However, it’s a useful feature, that’s not to say that it works all the time. Small glitches or problems along with your devices can actually cause the feature to not work properly, and we will talk about common fixes for Home Sharing problems on your Apple TV and all other Apple devices in this piece.
How to Fix If iTunes Home Sharing Not Working
Users of Apple iTunes for Microsoft Windows may also experience a problem where the Home Sharing feature does not work. Whenever you attempt to connect to the music library of another PC, the connection fails and items never really appear in the left pane. You have to assume that you have both computers connected to the same network, here are some of the things that you can try to fix this problem.
First, you have to make sure that the Bonjour service is running on your PC. You can also check this through going to “Edit” > “Preferences” within iTunes and choosing the “Sharing” tab. This tab should display sharing options if the Bonjour service is running or not. Otherwise, it will tell you that the Bonjour service is not running actually.
In order to enable the Bonjour service, just follow these steps:
- Choose the “Start” button, type “services.msc“, then tap “Enter“.
- Double-tap on the “Bonjour” service, set the “Startup type” to “Automatic“.
- Choose “Apply“.
- Choose the “Start” button.
- Now open iTunes on both the computers and see if Home Sharing works.
Turn off IP6
Well, If the Bonjour service is not your problem, you may have a problem along with iTunes trying to route sharing traffic using IP6 rather than IP4. Try these simple steps in Windows:
- First, close the iTunes.
- In Windows, just open the Control Panel.
- Choose “Network and Internet“.
- Then choose “Network and Sharing Center“.
- Select your active network listed for “Connections“. It’s mostly named “Wireless Network Connection 1“, “Wi-Fi 1” or something similar to that.
- Choose the “Properties” button.
- If the Internet “Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” is checked, then uncheck it, then choose “OK“
- Now choose “Close“.
- Open iTunes on both PC and see if Home Sharing works or not.
Restart iTunes and then try to use the Home Sharing feature again.
Turn on Home Sharing on All of Your Devices
Well, importing iTunes library from different devices only works if Home Sharing is turn on on all these devices. If the Home Sharing feature is turned off, then you need to turn it on. You can do that with:
- Open the iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Locate and tap on the option File on the menu bar placed at the top of your screen.
- Then search for the options Home Sharing from the drop-down menu and tap on it.
- Next, press the option Turn on Home Sharing. You may have to give your login credentials if you are not signed in already.
- A pop-up will then inform you that Home Sharing is now on. Simply tap on OK to that message.
You can also use more than five computers on your home network to share. However, they need to be awake with iTunes open on them actually. iTunes version must be 9 and above as well.
- Head to the Settings on your device
- Search for the option Music and click on it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of your screen and then locate the section Home Sharing
- And if you see the option Sign In under this section, then click on it and give your Apple ID credentials.
- If the Apple ID is already signed in then double-check if this ID is the same as the other devices as well.
On Apple TV
- Select the option Settings on your screen.
- Then choose the option Accounts.
- Now select the option iTunes and App Store.
- Sign in through providing your log in details.
- Now you have to go back to Accounts.
- Select the option Home Sharing.
- Turn on the option Home Sharing.
- Enter your Apple ID and also password if requested again.
Troubleshooting Home Sharing on Mac or PC
If you guys have turned on the Home Sharing option across all the devices and it still does not work. Then you may have to find a solution actually. If you are using iTunes on Mac or PC then you can also:
- Make sure that your Mac or PC is awake with iTunes open on the screen. iTunes version should be updated to minimum 9 as well.
- You can also relaunch the iTunes. If that does not work then restart the device and then open the iTunes again as well.
- Turn on iTunes Authorization on your Mac/PC. You can do that with just tap the option Account on the menu bar. Next, press the option Authorization and then finally tap on the option Authorize this Computer. If your iTunes is not showing the menu bar then simply tap on Control + B on your keyboard.
- Try to turn off your Home Sharing for a minute or so, and turn on it back. You can also turn it off through clicking the option File on the menu bar. Then press the option Home Sharing and Turn Home Sharing Off. Enable it back through the same process.
- Now double check if your firewall is not blocking the Home Sharing. You can also check the firewall on the Mac just go into System and Preferences. Then tap on Security and Privacy to see the Firewall Settings. Edit them to make sure that there is no blocking of Home Sharing because of the firewall.
- You can only use 5 computers (PC and Mac combined) for Home Sharing actually. If you have already reached the limit and want to add a new PC/Mac, then you will be required to deauthorize one computer before adding a new one.
- If you are using a Windows PC then make sure your Windows are updated to latest available update actually. Windows 10 needs regular updates and not ignoring these updates can affect the performance of other software installed on the PC as well.
Alright, folks, I hope you like this article and understand now. If you have any issues and queries related to it, just comment down and let us know.