How to Fix if Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing
Well, Guys! Windows Explorer is the most essential element of your system. And whether Windows Explorer keeps crashing, so then you will have difficulties just accessing files & as well as folders on your PC. Whilst occasional crashes probably not be too much of a problem for you. But whether Windows Explorer keeps crashing too often, so is an issue that requires a serious look into.
How to Fix if Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing
Whether you know that what’s causing the problem, you guys are also able to apply some of the standard fixes & also see whether they help resolve the Explorer from crashing anymore. There are basically many ways to try and also resolve it on your Windows PC.
Update Your System
Whether your PC is running an old version of the OS, that is probably why the Windows Explorer keeps crashing on your machine. Though a previous version often has bugs & problems that also have been fixed in the current ones.
Updating your PC to the new Windows version should fix the problem for you.
- Here you have to first of all search for the Settings app use Cortana search & open it on your PC.
- Tap on Update & Security on the following screen.
- Now you have to choose the Windows Update option from the left sidebar.
- Tap on Check for updates on the right-hand side pane.
- Whether any updates are available, get them installed on your computer.
Clear Windows Explorer History On Your PC
However, like your web browsers & other applications, Windows Explorer also keeps a history of the activities that also have taken place in it. Whether it is been a really long time since you are using the Explorer. And have not really removed the history. Though the files probably have accumulated in a large number. And they probably are causing the utility to crash.
Removing the Windows Explorer history should resolve it for you.
- Here you have to use the Cortana search feature just to search for and head to File Explorer Options.
- Click on the General tab if you are not already there.
- You should look towards the last section that always says Privacy. And you will find a button saying Clear in it. Tap on it to clear your Explorer history.
Organize Folder Windows In a Separate Process to Fix if Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing
If you guys have enabled the option to have various processes for each of your folder windows. The Explorer will also use the single procedure for all the folder windows you open. Occasionally it is also able to cause conflicts & issues which may lead the Explorer to crash unexpectedly.
In order to resolve it, you are also able to turn on the option that assigns a unique process to each folder you open in the Explorer.
- Now you must search for File Explorer Options in Cortana search & organize it.
- Tap on the View tab when it opens.
- You will also view a number of options in order to enable and disable. Find the one that just says Launch folder windows in a separate process & tick-mark it. Then tap on Apply followed by OK.
Disable Any Antivirus Programs That Probably Be Running On Your PC
However, the Windows Explorer also keeps crashing issues could also be the result of a third-party application interfering with the functioning of the utility. Whilst most applications won’t do that, though there are definite types of programs just like the antivirus ones that are known to cause conflicts with the built-in Windows tools.
And whether that is the case, resolving the issue is too easy. All you actually need to do is close any running antivirus programs on your PC and you are too good to go. These programs will then not be able to touch any sections of the Explorer. Though that should resolve the issue for you.
Clear the Items From The Quick Access Menu
However, guys the quick access menu is a feature in Windows Explorer that allows you quickly access some of your newly & frequently used files on your PC. After all, it is a part of the utility, any problem in Quick access is able also to lead to major processes just like Windows Explorer keep on crashing on your PC.
Well, Guys! Disabling the option in order to include the aforementioned file types in Quick access should resolve the issue for you.
- Search for File Explorer Options in Cortana search and open it.
- There will also be two checkboxes in the Privacy section named as Show recently used files in Quick access & Show frequently used folders in Quick access. You guys just need to untick both of these boxes & tap on Apply followed by OK.
Also, read this article: Desktop Is Black: Ways To Fix Black Desktop Screen
Resolve the Corrupt Files and Drives
Corrupt files & drives are also occasionally the reason why definite utilities end-up closing suddenly on your machine. However, manually finding & resolving the corrupt files probably not be an ideal solution. Whether you are not really into any geeky things. You probably prefer a simpler method.
Windows basically has built-in methods in order to allow you to find. and fix the issues related to corrupt files and drives. There are commands that you guys are able to use in the Command Prompt utility on your computer to get rid of these issues.
- First of all, you have to press the Windows + R keys at the same time, type cmd, & hit Enter.
- Now type in the following command, hit Enter, and allow it fully executed.sfc /scannow
- Run the following command & allow it to fix your injured drives.chkdsk
Disable Third-Party Extensions
However, when you guys install a third-party application on your PC, occasionally they end-up adding their integrations just to Windows Explorer. Similarly, when any of those integrations get injured for whatever cause they cause the Explorer just to crash as it is unable to control a broken application integration.
There is a free application that allows you to find & disable these extensions on your PC.
- Here you guys must have to download & organize ShellExView on your PC.
- Tap on the Options menu at the top and choose to Hide All Microsoft Extensions so that you only view the third-party ones.
- Now you should choose all the extensions by pressing Ctrl + A.
- Right-click on any extension & selecting Disable Selected Items.
- Whether the issue gets fixed, you have to here enable the disabled extensions one by one. And you will find out what was causing the issue.
Furthermore, Have you guys ever run into any problems just with Windows Explorer? Did our methods above support you to fix the problems? We would like to hear your response in the comments section below.
Must read this article: Ways To Get Bluetooth On A PC Without Adapter _Guide