How to Make an OS X Yosemite Boot Installer USB Drive
There is news for you that now OS X Yosemite is available. Lots of users probably wish to make a bootable installer drive simply from something such as a USB flash thumb drive or also another disk. However, this permits for enormous things, also the capability in order to upgrade enormous Macs without just having to re-download the installer. Though the capacity in order to perform a clean install. And also the comfort of having a detached bootable reinstallation drive on the occasion you must have it for serving a Mac.
Guys making a Yosemite installation drive though which is also bootable is pretty straightforward. But it is a numerous step procedure. Just before you begging, make sure you are having the following main requirements met:
- The first main things is a USB Flash Drive, however, which is 16GB or larger that you do not mind formatting
- And secondly, the main thing is the “Install OS X Yosemite. app” organizer in the /Applications/ directory of the Mac (downloaded simply from the App Store, but not installed)
Definitely, we are here assuming the target Mac(s) which are going in order to get Yosemite is also compatible. Literally, whether the Mac is able of running OS X Mavericks, so it is also capable of managing the OS X Yosemite too.
Make a Bootable OS X Yosemite Installer Disk
However, just for the reasons of this explore, here we are going in order to use a 16GB USB flash thumb drive. But you are free to use whatever you like, & also you could even utilize an external hard drive. Whether you really like to. So then the convenience of a portable flash drive is also indisputable. It is preferred whether you are going to be updating lots of Macs. Well, guys now let’s get started:
1: Format the USB Drive to be Bootable
Well, this will be now formatted in the drive. So that it will also be a startable installer, just without performing this the drive probably not be bootable. Whether you do not like to remove the drive, find one you do not mind formatting rather. So when you format a fresh drive on a Mac so then it becomes labeled as “Untitled”. So we are also going to assume which the start target drive is named Untitled. Whether for some purpose you also have another drive which is named Untitled, so then change the name or do not use it.
- First of all, you have to connect to the USB drive. Simply to the Mac & then organize Disk Utility, so choose that USB drive from the left side drive list (confirm you choose the USB drive you like to create the bootable installer from.
- Now you have to tap on the “Erase” tab & format the drive simply as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”, then select “Erase” and make sure.
- Now you have to head to the “Partition” tab. Under the ‘Partition Layout’ you must have to tap on the pulldown menu, just changing it from “Current” to “1 Partition”
- Here you have to turn the name to “Untitled” from ‘Untitled 1’. Next tap on the “Options” button
- Select the “GUID Partition Table” simply as the partition scheme & select “OK”
- Tap “Apply” and make sure the creation of the partition
- Finally, Quit out of Disk Utility when complete.
Now the drive is completely ready, so you are able to move on to making the actual installer.
Creating the OS X Yosemite Installer Drive
However, the next step will basically create the installer drive just from the priorly formatted USB disk. So whether you are already having the OS X Yosemite installer app in the /Applications/ folder on the Mac, so then you are also able to skip directly to step 3:
- Firstly you have to download the OS X Yosemite. Simply from the Mac App Store, however, it is totally free. Note: Do not install it so far.
- Though guys when the download finishes and the “Install OS X Yosemite” application organizes, you have to now quit out of it instinctively.
- Now organize the Terminal app and then enter the following command, copy & paste works well:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app –nointeraction
- Now you should enter the administrator password similarly when requested. (This is needed for using the sudo command – so then the password will not display up and also it looks as to whether you are not entering anything. Though that is usual behavior for the command line). So then hit the RETURN key in order to start making the installer
- Here you will view a series of messages simply as the following. So guys let it finish until you view the “Done” message. This probably takes a while as numbers of GB of data also have to be transferred:
“Erasing Disk: 0%… 10%… 20%… 30%…100%…
Copying installer files to disk…
Making disk bootable…
Copying boot files…
- However. when it is done & the terminal reads “Done”. Exit out of Terminal, you are ready in order to use the bootable installer drive
Infrequently, you probably experience a “can not be verified” error. So here is the way in which you are also able to fix that.
So your newly created OS X Yosemite install drive will be available in the Mac Finder:
Now you only have to start from the newly created OS X Yosemite drive. Perform that by restarting the Mac & also holding down the OPTION key. Choosing the “Install OS X Yosemite” drive upon boot.
Whether the drive does not start, so then you nearly certainly skipped the first step. Though that was to partition simply the drive as GUID. Probably interfered simply with the syntax also in the command. You are also able to go through the procedure again to be sure.
However, this permits you to update any version of OS X so than just from Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, straightly to OS X Yosemite, also with the installer which was only created. You guys are also able to perform a clean install (so that we separately address in a complete walkthrough). Or update various Macs just without facing in order to download it from the App Store again. You have to make sure to always back up the target Mac before updating OS X. If to OS X 10.10 or further version, you are also able to abide by detailed tips on the way to prepare a Mac for OS X Yosemite. Now guys enjoy the OS X Yosemite!
Also, read the article: Play MKV On An iPad: To Watch MKV Video From Files App
The preceding steps also have been tested so frequently & are make sure to work defectless with the OS X Yosemite final release. Whether you also have any problems, run via the steps again, or also leave a comment with your specific error. Whether you know of a simpler way, so guys let us know in the comments section. But we hope that you will like the guide.