How To Restore Or Unbrick Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720
Are you looking for steps to restore or unbrick Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720? In this article, we try to recover your Galaxy S4 back to stock using stock firmware. So that all worst partitions on the device are resolved and it doesn’t restarts or boot loops normally.
Well, it depends on the situation that we use either hard-bricked or soft-bricked:
Difference Between Soft-Brick & Hard-Brick:
If your device won’t boot into download mode. Also, it can’t react to key combinations you are trying to make it to download or to boot normally or recovery mode.
Hard-brick results in one dead mobile device. Yes, it’s sick and fretting. You should look for a JTAG service locally; the person with a good understanding of that might be able to save it. Oh, you can also try using USB Jig to reboot the y9our device into download mode.
Hard-brick happens only when the power supply gets disturbed by the PC and mobile device when something is being updated or installed on the device. That’s why you should be very careful with even the simplest steps.
Let’s check soft-brick now. In some cases, a brick is a soft-brick, which means your device isn’t fully dead, that it is unable to boot normally and gets stuck somewhere. And, its download mode is working properly.
Unbrick Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 Or How To Check Bricked Galaxy S4:
If your Galaxy S4 or any device can boot into download mode, then it’s a soft-brick. If it can’t, then it’s a hard-brick.
Unbrick Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 Cases:
- Bootloop: Your device is not restarting and gets stuck at the logo or can’t proceed further. Also, it reboots continuously.
- Corrupted but working: Your device can’t switch On, but is entering the Recovery mode or Download mode after hitting the key combinations. That is, it’s reacting to a key combination, at the least.
- Another case: Well, it doesn’t matter what happened, whenever you access Download mode through the key combination given below, you’re good — no need to worry!
All you need to do is to install the stock firmware from the below section and your Galaxy S4 shall be up and executing properly. Also, you simply input download using the key combo specified in the article below.
- In case, if you can’t enter download mode through the key combo specified in the article below. Then your mobile is hard-bricked. If you are not an expert then you can’t repair it yourself unless you are able to reboot it into download mode.
All you need to do is to try USB Jig to move to the Download mode but there is no guarantee it would work. Your last choice is JTAG. Simply check a local service provider who can use the JTAG for you and save your dead hard bricked mobile device. You can also use Google to purchase JTAG and try it yourself but we don’t suggest it at all. Because it needs a person who has a good understanding of Electronics.
Come let’s check how to unbrick or restore or resolve a bricked Galaxy S4.
Steps To Restore/Recover Galaxy S4 Sprint To Unbrick:
Your device warranty may be void if you follow the steps given on this page. Also, you only are responsible for any damage that occurs to your device.
GALAXY S4 SPH-L720 OFFICIAL JELLY BEAN 4.3 FIRMWARE
Before you start with the steps below, make sure your android device is fully charged.
Check Device Version No:
If you want to know that your mobile device is eligible for this, you must first check its version no. All you need to do is to head over to the ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another method to confirm version no. is by looking at the packaging box of your device. It must be SPH-L720!
Don’t try to use the method mentioned here on any other Galaxy S4 (including the Galaxy S4 versions at Cricket, T-Mobile, AT&T, US-Cellular, Verizon, and another International model) or any other Samsung device.
Back up all your confidential data and content before you initiate playing around here as there might be a chance you lose your apps and app data.
Install a working driver on your Windows PC to successfully flash stock firmware on your Sprint Galaxy S4. Follow the link below to install the driver for your Galaxy S4 on your PC.
Simply download the Odin zip firmware file given below. Move both Odin and firmware files to another folder on your PC just to arrange things in order.
DOWNLOAD LINK | Filename: Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (951 KB)
DOWNLOAD LINK | Filename: L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_SPR.zip (1.4 GB)
Example: If you can’t use Odin before. Then we recommend you first watch a video of that to get familiar with the process. The video explains flashing of CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3, but since the method is the same for flashing stock firmware also, the video will definitely help: Click here to watch the video
Important Note: Backup all your confidential files saved on the internal SD card of your device. So if you want to do a factory reset after flashing stock firmware, which might remove the internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on the computer.
- At first extract the Odin zip file, Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip on your PC (using 7-zip free software) to get this file: Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Then unzip the Odin firmware zip file, L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_SPR.zip on your PC to get this file: L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_L720VPUEMK2_HOME.tar.md5
- Transfer the firmware file, L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_L720VPUEMK2_HOME.tar.md5, in the same folder in which you unzipped Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (Just for your ease, that is). So, now you’ll have these files in that folder:
- Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Now disconnect your device from the PC if it is connected.
- Double-tap the Odin3 v3.09.exe file to simply open the Odin.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 Sprint into the Download Mode:
- Switch off your mobile-first and wait for a few seconds when the display is off
- Hit and hold these 3 buttons simultaneously until you view Warning! screen: Volume Down + Power + Home
- Then hit Volume Up now to continue to Download Mode
- Now connect your device to your computer. Odin window will display an Added!! message under then left box. In case, if you can’t receive the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting steps:
- Keep in mind you have installed a driver for your device.
- If you have already installed the driver, then uninstall it and again install it back.
- Now connect using another USB port on your computer.
- Then try another USB cable. The real cable that came with your mobile should work best, if not, try to use another cable that is of good quality.
- Reboot your mobile and computer and then try again.
- Now successfully load the firmware file (unzipped in Step 1) into Odin as mentioned below:
- Tap on the AP button on Odin and choose the L720VPUEMK2_L720SPTEMK2_L720VPUEMK2_HOME.tar.md5 file (from step 1).
- Now from the Odin Options section, keep in mind that the Re-Partition box is unmarked. (Auto Reboot and Factory Reset Time boxes remain marked, while many other boxes remain unmarked.)
- Double mark the above two steps.
- Tap the Start button to start flashing stock firmware on your Galaxy S4 SPH-L720. Then wait a while until you view a PASS! message in Odin’s top left box.
- When you receive a PASS! message, your mobile will automatically restart. You can then unplug your m mobile from the computer.
If you view the FAIL message rather than the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s an issue. Try this trick: disconnect your device from the computer. Then quit Odin, erase the phone’s battery, and put it back inside after 3-4 seconds. Then open Odin and then repeat the whole process from Step 3 of this article again.
Also, when your device is stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then try this trick: disconnect your device from the computer. Then quit Odin, erase the phone’s battery, and put it back inside after 3-4 seconds. Then open Odin and then repeat the whole process from Step 3 of this article again.
Here’s all about ‘Unbrick Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720’. I hope you understand how to flash stock Jelly Bean 4.3 firmware on your Galaxy S4 Sprint, right? Let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments section below.