How to Turn Off SmartScreen in Windows 10
The SmartScreen filter in Windows 10 basically helps to protect your PC from suspicious and malicious apps and files. Plus, the SmartScreen filter can also show a warning message whenever you guys try to run an unrecognized app. Well, SmartScreen leverages Microsoft cloud power in order to instantly detect, warn, and block potentially unwanted apps from running. Typically, you can easily bypass the SmartScreen filter for unrecognized apps with just a few taps and run the app or file as needed. We are going to talk about How to Turn Off SmartScreen in Windows 10. Let’s begin!
If you are an experienced power user, then you should already know what’s safe and what is not whenever it comes to download and install apps. So, you do not need the annoyance of the SmartScreen filter always popping up when you guys are about to install something.
Note: If you guys are new to Windows 10 or a novice user, then I recommend you not turn off SmartScreen. It does help you to protect you from installing malicious software. Also, Microsoft has improved the SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10 in order to integrate along with Microsoft Edge and IE 11 to help keep you safe from malicious websites actually.
How to Turn Off SmartScreen in Windows 10
The shot below I received the other day when I was about to install VirtualBox. Whenever it appears, it’s just a matter of tapping the “I agree…” box and the “Run anyway” button. But, when I’m trying to be productive and set up a new PC, it slows down progress and is just plain annoying actually.
The thing is that you guys can turn it off. In order to do that, bring up the hidden power user menu and open Control Panel, and choose Security and Maintenance. Or, you can click on Start and type: security and maintenance and choose the result from the top.
- Then tap on Change Windows SmartScreen settings.
- Now you guys have three options, keep it on along with admin approval in order to allow running the app (the default). Warn about unrecognized apps, however, not need admin approval, or turn it off completely actually.
- When you turn it off, then right away a notification will pop-up telling you how unsafe you are being.
However, if you do not want to be nagged about the fact you disabled SmartScreen off. Tap on Turn off messages about Windows SmartScreen under the Security section actually.
how to turn off SmartScreen with Group Policy Editor
Well, for system or network administrators, Windows has a particular policy setting within the Group Policy editor. In order to quickly turn off the SmartScreen filter in Windows 10.
- You have to open Group Policy Editor through searching for “gpedit.msc” in the Start menu. In the Policy Editor head to “Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> File Explorer.”
- You have to find and double-tap on the “Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen” policy.
- In the policy settings window, you need to configure it as follows:
- In order to turn off the SmartScreen filter, choose the radio option “Disabled.”
- Now turn off the SmartScreen filter, select “Enabled” and either choose “Warn” or “Warn and avoid bypass” under the Options section.
If you want to make the changes take effect, then restart your system or execute
gpupdate /force the command as admin.
how to turn off SmartScreen with Registry Editor
Well, windows 10 Home users will not have access to the Group Policy Editor. But, you can use the Registry Editor to turn off the SmartScreen filter. You just have to create a couple of values actually. Before you edit the registry, back it up.
- Search for “Regedit” in the Start menu and then open it. Now, you have to go to the following location.
- In order to disable the SmartScreen filter, create a new DWORD value through selecting “New” and then “DWORD (32-bit) Value.” Name the value as “EnableSmartScreen.” Now, double-tap on the newly created value and then set its Value Data as “0.” That is just it.
- In order to turn on the SmartScreen filter, first set the Value Data of “EnableSmartScreen” as “1.”
- Now you have to set the SmartScreen blocking level. For that, right-tap on the right panel and choose “New -> String Value.” Name the value as “ShellSmartScreenLevel” actually.
- Double-tap on the new string value and then set either “Warn” or “Block” as the value data.
- Warn: shows a warning message, however, you can bypass it.
- Block: shows a warning message and blocks you from running the app or file actually
When you do that, then restart your system and you are good to go.
Turn off SmartScreen Filter for IE or Microsoft Edge | how to turn off SmartScreen
Well, personally, I find SmartScreen to be the most annoying when installing desktop programs, and not so much with the browser. If you are an IE or Edge user, it is probably best in order to leave it on. Even the most seasoned techie can accidentally tap on a malicious link or ad. However, you can turn it off if you want. In IE 11 tap on Settings (gear icon) > Safety > Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
Then you have to choose the option to turn it off and tap OK. Microsoft Edge makes turning it off a bit easier actually. Open Edge and head to Settings > View Advanced Settings. Then scroll down to the bottom under Privacy and Services and turn off Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads along with SmartScreen Filter as well.
In fact, if you guys are having a problem downloading a valid file, one of the troubleshooting steps that we cover is turning Screen Filter off.
Alright, folks, I hope you like this “how to turn off SmartScreen” article and understand now. If you guys have any issues and queries related to it, then just comment down and let us know about it.
Also See: How To Add iPhone Text Signature