How to Use MAME Game on your PC
So you guys want to play arcade games on your PC, right? In order to start with MAME is not easy for the average Joe actually. There is much more to learn. Where do you guys put the game files? What commands do you actually use? How do you get the joystick working for you? This is a mini-guide for those that just want to instantly get up and running with this for Windows. We are going to discuss about how to Use MAME Game on your PC.
What is MAME?
MAME, or Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator, was basically created for emulating arcade game systems in software actually. The reason behind MAME’s creation was really noble. The developers decided to design software that is capable of mimicking retro games’ hardware. That would basically help the gaming community preserve the history of games and avoid classic games from sinking into oblivion as well.
Currently, any user can download and install that on their PC. Fortunately, the program’s accuracy also improves with every update introduced monthly. It lets you play up to 8000 retro games that are currently difficult or impossible in order to emulate on other emulators. The undeniable benefit of using MAME is that you will be able to play the classic games that are created by different systems without even installing numerous emulators actually. That allows you to save much valuable space on your hard drive as well.
Those users who want to start playing classic games on their Windows PCs via MAME can find a brief guide below. Follow these simple steps below and enjoy playing!
How to Use MAME Game on your PC
- First, you have to download MAME Binaries.
- Then extract the files. When prompted for a directory, provide a folder that you want to extract the files to. In this example, we are actually using “C:\mame“.
- You will also want to download ROMs in order to use it with MAME. You can search ROMs for almost any arcade game. But, it may not be legal for you to use many of them. You can always get legal ROMS as we did as well.
- When you download the MAME Roms, they then come in ZIP format. You do not actually need to extract them. You have to leave them zipped and then place them in the “C:\mame\roms” folder.
- Bring up a DOS command prompt now. In order to do this click “Start” > “Run” and type “CMD“.
- Now type “cd\” to go to the root directory.
- Type “cd mame” to head into the “C:\mame” folder as well.
Now to start that, you need to type mame, then a space, and then also the game file you want to use as well:
- Example: mame Robby
If you have a joystick or gamepad that you want to use, then you have to use the -joystick switch as well:
- Example: mame robby -joystick
Now the game rom should run as well.
- If yuo want to insert a quarter, tap 5.
- For 1 player, you have to press 1. For 2 players, tap on 2.
- P will pauses the rom.
- You can also press Tab in order to access the options in MAME.
Alright, folks, I hope you like this article and understand “how to use mame Game on your PC” now. If you have any issues and queries related to it, just comment down and let us know.
Also See: A Complete Review On File Extension AAE