“iPhone Contacts Disappeared” How to Restore them? Tutorial Guide
While iOS remains the formula of a seamless encounter, there are times when it seems to go thoroughly berserk. Although one of the most common issues that many of us have come across at some point or the other is “iPhone contacts disappeared” – out of the blue! Fortunately, a few practical tricks are there to fix the problem and to get back the missing iPhone contacts. That is entirely what we have mentioned in this troubleshooting post.
iPhone Contacts Disappeared? How to Restore them
Although before getting on with the possible methods to recover the lost iPhone contacts, so it would be apt to get to the route of the issue.
Why Do Contacts Disappear from the iPhone?
There is one cause why contacts disappear on an iOS device. It may be due to a buggy software update, ill-fated restore, or sluggish syncing owing to the worst internet connection. Having taken a view at each possible scenario, so we have offered possible solutions that are able to bring back the missing iPhone contacts. Although with that said, so let’s abide by along to cut the clutter!
- Sign Out of iCloud and Sign Back In
- Turn Group Settings for Contacts
- Enable and Disable iCloud for Contacts
- Confirm On My iPhone is Selected As Default Account
- Restore Your iPhone With Finder/iTunes Backup
Sign Out of iCloud and Sign Back In
Although the first solution that you have tried to force the missing contacts to appear again on your iOS device is to sign out and sign back into your Apple ID. Similarly, more often than not, it fixes this problem. Here I hope that it gets the job completed for you.
- Firstly organize the Settings app and click on your profile picture right at the top.
- Then drop down and press on Sign Out.
Note: Whether Find My iPhone is turned on, on your device, a pop-up will appear asking you to enter your Apple ID to turn off Find My iPhone. So do it.
- Under the “KEEP A COPY OF” part, you have to enable the toggles for Contacts, Keychain, Safari, and other options to ensure they remain on your device.
- Simply your all developed photos and videos will be deleted from this iOS device
- Although the real images and videos will remain available on other devices that are using iCloud Photos
- Similarly, all the documents and data which you have stored in iCloud Drive will also be cleared out
- Here you have noted that all of your Health data will remain on this device.
- Here you have to just click on Sign Out.
- Then you have to sign in to Apple ID again.
After this, you have to head into the Contacts app to view if you have found success.
Turn Group Settings for Contacts
Simply another hack you should try to resolve this issue is to turn the contact group settings.
- First, organize the Phone app → Contacts tab.
- Here click on Groups at the top left corner.
- Dismiss the “All iCloud” option and press on Done at the top right corner.
Similarly, now you should view all the contacts which you have saved on your iPhone. Here you have to check out the disappearing ones and add them to your address book. At the time it is now completed, then go to the Group settings and choose the “All iCloud” option again.
Disable and Enable iCloud for Contacts
Once, all you have to do to fix this issue is toggle off/on the switch for Contacts syncing. And then guess what, we are going to provide it a try to view the way it fares.
- First, go to the Settings app on Your iPhone → Profile → iCloud.
- Now, press on the switch for Contacts.
- Then a pop-up will display from the bottom of the screen saying, “What would you want to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on iPhone?” Choose, Keep on My iPhone
Related Article: Different Ways To Sign Out Of Mail App From iOS Devices
- You are also able to select “Delete from the iPhone” to remove all the previously synced contacts. Trust the iCloud to bring all the contacts back without any snag. But I would advise you to select “Keep on My iPhone” just to play a bit safe
- As iCloud does offer the option to combine the iCloud contacts with the ones that exist on the device, “Keep on My iPhone” appears to be a better option.
- In this step, you have to restart your device. (tap and grasp the side button and then swipe to power off. Next tap and hold the side button again to enable the device.)
- Go to the Settings → your avatar → iCloud. Press on the switch for Contacts.
- Similarly, now you have to choose Merge in the pop-up to unify the contacts with the existing ones on your device.
Similarly, here you have to wait for some time to permit the iCloud contacts to unify with the local ones. So after this, you have to open the Contacts app on your device. Check out if your disappearing iPhone contacts have finally appeared.
Confirm On My iPhone is Selected As Default Account
Therefore iOS offers the option to select a preferred account for contacts. Here confirm that you have selected “On My iPhone” as the default account in the Contacts settings.
- Here you have to first go to the Settings app on your iPhone → Drop down and then click on Contacts.
- Now, click on Default Account and then confirm “On My iPhone” is chosen.
Restore Your iPhone With Finder/iTunes Backup
However, if none of the above-mentioned tips have classified the issue, so it is time to hold the nuclear solution. With it, I mean to move back to the drawing board and then restore the iPhone from the prior backup. As it is always been a reliable troubleshooter for recovering lost data.
- First of all, connect the iPhone to your Mac or PC by using a lightning cable. So now organize the Finder (in macOS Catalina)/iTunes.
- Secondly, choose your iPhone.
- Press on Restore Backup and select the preferred backup.
However, at times your device has successfully restored from a prior backup. Move to the Contacts app to view if the missing ones have finally returned to their usual place.
You can also read this article: To Fix Touch ID is Not Working on iPhone
iPhone Contacts Disappeared-Conclusion
Thus that is the way in which you are able to deal with the “Contacts disappeared from the iPhone” problem and bring back all the disappearing ones. Thanks to these helpful solutions, now it is possible to bring back the contacts.