Mojave Clean Install: Ways To Clean Install MacOS Mojave
How the Mojave Clean Install on your device? Don’t you guys have any idea? No Worries! Today we are going to perform a clean install of MacOS. The Mojave may be desirable to some Mac users. Here is the clean install that means erasing all data on a hard drive. You can also install a fresh new installation of MacOS Mojave to that Mac. So, The idea is that having a clean install also starts fresh. You can also sort of like how a new Mac comes when you first open the box, with no customization. There are no third-party apps, no user accounts, no user data, preferences, settings, caches, no personal files or data. So, this is basically just a new clean installation of MacOS Mojave, and then nothing else.
Also, the vast amount of Mac users simply prepare for an update to macOS Mojave as usual from a prior MacOS system software release. So, thereby preserving their apps, customizations, personal files, and all else. Then this will also walkthrough that is intended for some of the users. They also want to erase a Mac that can completely start over fresh to perform a clean install of macOS Mojave 10.14.
Things You Need To Perform A Clean Install:
If you want to perform a clean install of MacOS Mojave on a Mac then you’ll need the following:
- Having a Mac that must be compatible with macOS Mojave.
- Also, You will need to make a macOS Mojave bootable USB installer drive. In case, if you have not done.
- Then you should also back up all of your data before beginning. This will also include all of your personal files and data. Now, the entire system backup is recommended too. Then you can also use the Time Machine or your backup method of choice. You have to remember, a clean install erases everything on a Mac.
You have to remember that a clean install will also erase everything on the Mac. This will also include all of the personal files, photos, movies, apps, any customizations or settings, or anything else. Having a clean install that starts new, with absolutely no personalization or your data on the computer. So, this will also become more critical that you have separately backed up your personal data. Then anything important to you, as failure to do so will also result in permanent data loss.
How To Choose the right way to Mojave clean install macOS 10.14:
So, there are a few ways to correctly run a clean install. Then they mainly depend on how your Mac hard drives are also structured. In case, if your Mac has one single drive then there is not broken into parts. Also, it is the drive where every file you own is stationed. This is as well as your system, they this is your only choice is to clean install on the startup drive.
You have to Keep in mind that if you proceed to do it on your startup drive. Then all your files and data will be permanently removed. You have to keep them safe, and you will also need a backup and we will tell you how to do it, no worries.
In case, if your hard drive is partitioned (broken into volumes). Then you have another drive. Also, you can clean install on a non-startup drive. There are some of the ways that your files are preserved. From this, it is a more lenient way of OS upgrade. Also, only the system gets and then clear and reinstall this with a new one. Having the rest of the drive is left intact.
Ways to Mojave Clean Install MacOS:
So, the warning is that this process will also erase everything on the Mac. In this case, you can also perform a new clean install of macOS Mojave only. Then there are no personal files, data, or apps that will also preserve or also include on the Mac. This is unless if you can also restore the data separately. Then Do not proceed without sufficient backups of your important data and computer.
- Having a complete and full-Time Machine backup is before starting this process. Now, this is also recommended to have a Time Machine backup. Moreover, you have to add any manual file backup of your personal data that you wish to keep. Then you have backed up any important files, personal data, pictures, etc so do not skip a full backup
- You can also connect the bootable macOS Mojave installer drive to the Mac using a USB port.
- To Reboot the Mac, that can immediately start holding the OPTION key on the keyboard.
- You can also hold the OPTION key until you see a boot selection menu appear on the screen. After that, you can also choose the “Install macOS Mojave” drive. Then this is the bootable USB installer that is from the choices.
- Now, at the “macOS Utilities” screen and then select the “Disk Utility”.
- Having a Disk Utility, you can also choose “Macintosh HD” (or whatever your Mac hard drive is named. So, you also want to format and then clean install Mojave onto), then select the “Erase” button.
- You have to Choose the “Macintosh HD” as the drive name. Now, go to the “Format” and then select the “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” or APFS. This will also depend on which file system format you use, then choose the “Erase” option. The WARNING: ALL DATA ON THE MAC WILL BE PERMANENTLY ERASED.
- When the drive also has finished and then erase and format, quit out of Disk Utility
- Then Back at the ‘macOS Utilities’ screen, now select “Install macOS” from the available options.
- This is at the “Install macOS Mojave” splash screen then choose the “Continue” option. So, this can also select the “Macintosh HD” as the destination to install macOS Mojave. You can also choose the “Install” to begin the clean macOS installation process.
- The MacOS Mojave will also install fresh on the otherwise empty drive and computer. Also, it will let this process complete if you finish the macOS Mojave will boot up as if it were a brand new Mac.
- If the Mac has finished installing macOS Mojave, then the computer also boots up into a fresh clean install of macOS Mojave. In case, if it is a new computer, then you will also go through the standard setup process as if it were a new Mac. So, there are no personal files, no personal data, no apps, nothing on the Mac except for the macOS Mojave. This is what comes with it by default. So, it’s a “clean install”.
Ways to clear macOS on a startup disk drive:
You have to make sure that you have got everything ready to clean and then install Mojave. This will also let and then get down to business. This is also going to be easy because we will also take you step by step through the safest way to do it.
Then we are also going to mention a few applications that you will need during the process. No, need to worry now, if you won’t need to look them up on the web. So, all of the apps are available on the Set app. Also, the subscription collection of Mac apps that you can also use any app in there once you download it on your Mac. This has a weekly free trial, so go ahead and sign up.
Now, From the clean installation, will also involve wiping your Mac main drive. This is also vital that you back it up immediately before you start. From some of those files that are junk. By backing them up would be, well, unadvisable. Then it is usually a good idea to remove extra files. This is before the backup with a Mac cleaner, this is just like CleanMyMac. You have to run it and then give your High Sierra a polish before clean installing Mojave.
1: To Clean up your Mojave Clean Install:
This is the time to remove every junk-looking thing that you can find. The old movies and the media files, apps you never use. Also, the cache and the system trash, duplicate files that you accidentally copied a few times. Now, all of the hard-drive-space-eaters, all have to go.
It is also possible that sounds like a lot of work but it is actually about 10 minutes. If you have the right software. Then Open the CleanMyMac option and run a full scan. Now, this will also remove system junk, old caches, and random unused files. You have to get rid of apps to use the Uninstaller tab. This is for the big media files to run the Large & Old Files search.
Now, you have probably enjoyed the ability to store images. That is in the cloud and then keep all of them despite limited space. Also, it means that you have got a lot to clean among your photos. You have to spot and erase those repeating images then try the Gemini app. This is made to find duplicate and similar files or folders on your hard drive. Then you can also delete them and then retrieve precious storage space.
2: To Create Backup your data On Mojave Clean Install:
If all of the extra files are gone and then all you have got left on the drive. This is what you actually need, the time to back it all up. You have to use the Get Backup Pro for the job. This is also better than Apple’s native Time Machine. Now, move on to your photos and document into the cloud (iCloud, Dropbox, whatever your choice is) or to an external drive, like a USB stick.
You have to create a bootable clone, in case of tech issues during the upgrade. So, this way you will be able to go back to where you started easily. Additionally, a cloned drive lets you quickly copy files to your new system.
The other tip:
In case, if you have any specifically customize apps that can also take time to set right. You have to make screenshots of app settings. Now, keep a record of license codes for the apps you’ve bought to restore them when reinstalled.
So, this is the way, if you also get the Set app subscription we mentioned before. Then the problem with license codes will also become a thing of the past. Now, all of the app that is inside and are fully active and then pack in one suite. There are no separate purchases, paid upgrades, and so on.
3: To create a bootable macOS Mojave installer:
Remember that, Apple usually gets protective over previous versions and then removes the installer. When the next macOS is out. That is why you might want to grab the High Sierra installer before it’s gone from the app store. In case, if the link is still active, you’re lucky.
Reasons that you might need it that is in case the new macOS Mojave refuses. So, you have to behave on your Mac. Then you just don’t like it, on any of the other problems occurs. Now, you will also need to downgrade and then the clean install High Sierra back to your Mac. If the installer also comes in handy. Then there is a corner case but the better safe than sorry, right? If you have your High Sierra backup plan then you can also process it.
- You have to download a new macOS from the App Store.
- If it is finished, then the installer will launch. This is as soon as it does, and then select File and Quit (or keyboard shortcut Command-Q). Now, it does not install. Then the installer will remain in your Applications folder.
- Now, Plug in the USB stick and then launch Disk Utilities. So, this is also a very good idea to use a USB stick to put the bootable installer onto. This will also need to be at least 8GB in size.
- Then click the Erase tab and then make sure that the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is selected in the Format tab.
- You can also Give the USB stick a name and then click Erase.
- If it is finished, then click on the Done and then close Disk Utility.
- You have to Launch the Terminal either by searching for it in the Spotlight. Also, to navigate this to the utility folder in Applications.
- Now, Type, or paste, the following command into Terminal. Then where [YOUR DRIVE NAME] is the name you also gave the installer drive when you formatted it:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[YOUR DRIVE NAME] --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app
You have to Remember this to replace [YOUR DRIVE NAME] with the name of your installer disk. Now, you probably remember that the only difference with the clean installing High Sierra is changing the name of the app.
- First of all, you have to hit the Return button.
- You have to type in your admin password and then wait.
- If the process is finished, then the word Done will also appear in the Terminal window.
- Now, You can also then quit Terminal.
- The Success! Enjoy Mojave, good-bye High Sierra.
4: To Install 10.14 on your startup disk drive
You have to make sure that you back up your Mac to keep your important files. This is before taking you to the next step, which will also erase your Mac’s Startup drive. You have to erase your Mac’s main drive:
- Then Go to the System Preferences.
- You have to click on the Startup Disk and then choose the installer that you have just created.
- Now, Restart your Mac and then hold down Command-R to boot into recovery mode.
- So, Take your bootable USB and connect it to your Mac.
Steps For MacOS Utilities:
If the macOS Utilities also screen appears, then follow these steps:
- You have to select and then Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
- Then click on the Continue option then click on the Continue again when the next window appears.
- To Agree on the terms and conditions, then select this in your Mac’s internal drive.
- Tap on the Install.
- Now, Wait for macOS Mojave to install and your Mac to restart.
When you reboot, then your Mac will also require setting up like a new one. You can also imagine this and you just bought it and then proceed to fill in all the gaps. The Wi-Fi, iCloud with Apple ID, Dropbox, accounts, passwords. This could also take a while but remember, it was worth it. When the initial process is done, then you can also start stocking up on the software. You have reinstalled the apps from Setapp then go to setapp.com to get the Setapp installer or download Setapp.
This will also make sense to only install those applications that you need right now. So, the other apps can also be downloaded later. Then you don’t need too much clutter on your fresh system.
So, at this point, if you will probably want to set up the Mac as new. Now, you have to go this about manually re-downloading apps. The utilities, and some of the other stuff that you can also use to the Mac. This is as well as manually restoring any of your important personal files and some of the personal data to the computer. Now, you can also skip all of that and then just use the Mac with a clean install of macOS Mojave. In case, if it were a brand new computer, this is without restoring or copying any data back to it. So, That is entirely up to you.
Now, this is how you can clean install macOS Mojave. In case, if you have any questions, comments, or other methods for performing a fresh install of macOS Mojave. Kindly, share with us in the comment section below.