Other In Mac Storage: How You Can Delete it?
The question that arises in every user’s mind is that what is in Other In Mac Storage. After reading this article you will learn that. If you check the storage on your Mac devices then you might also see a significant percentage of space. And, that space that can be occupied by something called Other. By using the macOS does not go into too much detail. Also, you may wonder what is in the Other storage on Mac. That is it and then take up so much of the space. In this article, you also learn that how you can delete this storage. So, this may help you by telling more about this to free space on your Mac.
- Ways to Check Storage on Mac
- Explain Other in Mac Storage?
- Ways to Delete Other in Mac Storage
Ways to Check Storage on Mac
- First of all, you have to click on the Apple logo. This is available from the top-left corner and then you can choose About This Mac.
- Then you can click on the Storage. Now, wait for a few seconds.
- You just have to take the mouse pointer to colored sections. Then you will have to see how much space is occupied by different categories. It includes Apps, Photos, System, Trash, Other, etc.
Explain Other on Mac Storage?
This is just like the Other on the iPhone and the iPad. This is the home to several files, cached data, and more. Now this section houses can have a mix of junk and important files. This is the simplest of terms just like the Other category. So, this has a combination of files that can recognize as one of the other file types. There are some of the examples that are explained below.
- The most common documents and the file types that include in them are PDF, doc, PSD, etc.
- Most of the types of archives and the disk images also includes in the zips, dmg, iso, tar, etc.
- Now the files in the system folders of macOS can include the temporary files, swap, voices, etc.
- Also, the application that can support the files, iCloud files, Screensavers, etc.
- This also includes the cache items, including the browser cache and the locally stored message media files.
- Then the Fonts, app accessories, application plugins, and app extensions also include in it.
- Using the various file and the file types can not recognize by the Spotlight. Just like a virtual machine hard drive and the Windows Boot Camp partitions, etc.
Ways to Delete Other on Mac Storage:
- To Delete Cache Files on Mac
- How to Clear Temporary Files Located in Other Storage on Mac
- Ways to Remove Safari Extensions on Mac
- To Remove Old Downloads
- Can Delete Unnecessary iPhone and iPad Backups
- To Delete Unused Applications
- While Using Third-Party Software to Free Storage on Mac
To Delete Cache Files:
In most of the typical situations also you do not need to worry much about cache. Now, the macOS also handles them smartly. Also, if you are too low on storage or then you can believe in having a cache of unused/uninstalled apps. Then here is how you can delete them. The Caches files are there to make your Mac experience better and faster. You just have to make sure that you can remove only the unnecessary ones.
- Using the Finder you have to click on the Go.
- Then press the option and then you will see a new option for the Library. Now click on it.
- Tap on the Caches.
- Now, right-click on the unnecessary app/service folders and then choose on the Move to Trash.
- After that right-click on the Trash icon and then choose the Empty Trash.
Also, the regular use of the macOS then it will also recreate these caches. In this case, if you do not understand what to delete then you can go back and then copy it. It contains the whole caches folder to the desktop in order to create the backup. In this step, you just have to open the caches folder and then press Command + A. Now right-click on it and then you can move to the Trash. In the end, they Empty the Trash. Then you will see if everything works properly or not. Then you can copy the contents of the backup caches folder from the desktop. The desktop is inside the actual Caches folder. To clear the browser cache and the website files for Safari also reduce the Other storage.
How to Clear Temporary Files Located in Other Storage on Mac:
- With the Finder app, you have to click on the Go.
- Then you can press the option
- Tap on the Library.
- Now click on the Application Support.
- Then you can delete the files from here that you do not need. After that the old app folders that you do not need or have.
Ways to Remove Safari Extensions on Mac:
At this time, also we can also install a browser extension for a purpose. Also, we do not reuse them or you can simply forget that it exists. Now the extension also continues to occupy space that can be shown differently than the application itself. This is thus categorized under the Other option.
Can remove an extension:
- The Safari: You have to open the Safari → Then Click on Safari from the top left corner of the screen. Now click on the Preferences → Extensions. After that click on an extension → Then chooses the Uninstall.
- A Chrome: Now open the Chrome → Click on the Extensions icon and the puzzle icon. Then next to the account picture → Manage Extensions. After that Remove those you do not use.
To Remove Old Downloads:
You can also download is usually saved in the Downloads folder then and unless that you can change them. Now we can often download the .dmg files. It includes large packages, videos, zip files, and then you can leave them there. Also, if many of the people can do not delete the .dmg file that can even after app installation. Then the same for zip files.
- Now open the Finder and then click on the Downloads from the left sidebar.
- Then click on the word Size in order to arrange the items by size. Also, it will help you to locate the large files quickly.
- After that, you can delete it then right-click on the file, and then choose Move to Trash. It may also select the files(s) and then press the Command + Delete.
By using the spotlight you can also search to search for a big file then type it like the .dmg, .zip, .mp4, .mkv, .avi, and some others. After that, you can also click on it Show all in Finder… available from the lower-left of the Spotlight Search screen. In the next step, you can also delete them easily.
Can Delete Unnecessary iPhone and iPad Backups
With the iOS and the iPadOS device, you can create backups that might also run into various gigabytes. In case, if you have several archived backups or some of the unnecessary backups in order to create in the old devices. Then you just have to make sure to delete them.
- First of all, click on the Apple logo and then choose them About This Mac.
- Then click on the Storage option. Tap on the Manage.
- You can now select the iOS Files from the sidebar.
- After that click on the files and then choose Delete.
In case, if you can accidentally delete a backup the go-ahead and then easily create a new one now.
To Delete Unused Applications:
If the applications that can combine them with their data, folders, etc. This is also possible that it can vast and occupy significant space. Now you have different apps that are sitting idle then go ahead and then delete them. You can also remove the macOS and then install files if any.
- First of all, you have to click on the Apple logo. This is available from the top-left of the screen and then choose the About This Mac.
- Tap on the Storage. Then Next click on the Manage.
- You can also select the Applications from the sidebar.
- Now click on an unnecessary one and then click on Delete.
Also, may also use apps like App Cleaner in order to the perfect uninstallation.
While Using Third-Party Software to Free Storage on Your Mac:
Besides this, it has inbuilt solutions, many of the third-party apps that can do almost the same thing. Also, this process is an easier way. Then you can launch them and in a minute or so. This will also help you to the free significant space. Now the interface for most is visually pleasing. In this case, if you are having difficulty following the above methods then you may try any other app. Just like the Daisy Disk.
Related Article: How to Install the Verizon Droid Turbo Android 5.1.1 OTA update
So, there are some of the most effective ways in order to delete Other storage on Mac. With this the early start, it has a lot of useful files too so that is different from listed categories. Although. if it is tough to remove Other data completely. Then this is the above ways that can also help you to declutter it. By using the macOS does not go into too much detail. Also, you may wonder what is in the Other storage on Mac. That is it and then take up so much of the space.