Root Your LG G3 Android Lollipop ROM
Well, we had Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware leaked for the LG G3 over the weekend actually. And LG has actually promised to officially release the update this week. So for LG G3 users, this basically has to be the most amazing week of Nov 2014, and they are probably tapping the Check for update button frequently on their G3 devices actually. But, beware! Among the tasty treats of Lollipop, you’d also get an updated bootloader on your G3 as well. That you guys might not want as it will be non-root friendly and Bump! too is not compatible with it yet. We are going to discuss Root Your LG G3 Android Lollipop ROM.
Bump! is actually a critical thing you don’t want to miss on your LG G3. In case, if you do not know about it. It is (so far) the only way in order to install or flash partition images on the G3. That means it’s the only way in order to get a custom recovery as well. Which is indeed something that you do not wanna miss.
So you have to preserve your current (KitKat) bootloader when upgrading to Android 5.0 Lollipop to be able to root Android 5.0 on LG G3. Thanks to Skin1980 over at XDA to provide a way to do this. He has basically created a recovery flashable zip for the leaked Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware and deleted the updated bootloader from it. The developer also created a patched kernel for the device that supports root. The patched kernel is actually from the stock Android 5.0 kernel from the leak.
Root Your LG G3 Android Lollipop ROM
Let’s now hit the downloads section and see how you can install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your LG G3 along with root and TWRP recovery as well.
LG G3 Android 5.0 ROM (1 GB)
└ All of the credits for the ROM file go to Skin1980 over at XDA. For updates to the ROM, you have to check his original post here
Patched Boot IMG (10.94 MB)
Beta SuperSU v2.19 (3.49 MB)
- You have to take a proper backup of your data on your LG G3 before moving to the installation guide using. Making a Nandroid Backup is recommended via TWRP.
- Install Bumped TWRP Recovery on G3 D855:
- Root LG G3 in order to install Bumped TWRP recovery via Purpledrake Rooting Tool
- Download and then install LG G3 USB Drivers on your PC.
- Turn on USB Debugging Option on the LG G3 from Settings > Developer Options
- Now setup Android SDK (ADB and Fastboot)
- Make sure that the battery level of your LG G3 is up to 70%. Before starting the ROM Flashing and Rooting processes.
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you guys follow the procedures that are given on this page. You only are responsible for your device actually. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components actually.
Important Note: Backup necessary files saved on your LG G3 before proceeding along with the steps below. So that in case something goes wrong you will have to backup all your important files.
- You have to make sure your device is LG G3 D855, do NOT try to install this ROM on any other device as well.
- You have installed a custom recovery (TWRP) on your LG G3.
- Transfer or save the three zip files you downloaded above to your LG G3.
- Now boot into Recovery Mode:
- Power off your LG G3 and then unplug USB (if connected).
- Tap and hold the “Volume Down + Power” button together and soon as you see the LG Logo. Release the Power button and instantly tap on it again.
- Then continue holding both “Volume Down + Power” unless you see the “Factory Reset” screen. At this point, if have Bump installed (TWRP Recovery), then it won’t erase your data, so don’t worry!
- On the Factory reset screen press “Volume Down” once, and then press the “Power” button in order to confirm.
- You have to repeat the above step, press “Volume Down” once again, followed by “Power” in order to confirm.
- You will boot into recovery mode now.
- When in recovery mode, choose to Wipe » select Advanced Wipe » select or cross the box for Cache, and then you have to “Swipe to wipe” on the bottom of the screen.
- Now go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and then choose Install.
- Then navigate to the file where you saved the D85520A-lollipop-skin1980.zip file. Then choose it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now, wait unless the flashing process finishes.
- Now just like that flash both the D85520A-boot-rooted-bumped-skin1980.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.19.zip file like you flashed the Android 5.0 ROM file above actually.
- After you flash both the files. Head to the Main Menu, and select reboot to boot your LG G3 along with a rooted Android 5.0 Lollipop. Be extremely excited about this one!
Alright, folks, I hope you like this article and understand now. If you have any issues and queries related to it, just comment down and let us know.