Step-By-Step Guide To Root OnePlus 5 & 5T
Do you want to root OnePlus 5 or 5T? The OnePlus 5/5T root is now available. It means you can now gain superuser access on the OP5, and use your root apps for some amazing stuff right away.
Now OnePlus 5 root is available so special thanks to TWRP recovery for the device becoming available today, that is why you want to install first just to gain root access.
Well, that’s not the first step, as you want to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5 first. So, all you need to do is to unlock the bootloader, then install TWRP, and then the dead-simple method to gain root access.
We have mentioned everything below in our article to help you root OnePlus 5/5T easily. So, come let’s take a look:
If you want to root. you want TWRP recovery, and for TWRP, you must try to unlock the bootloader of your device, whatever you have.
- ADB & FastBoot
Step To Unlock Bootloader On OnePlus 5/5T
Follow the steps To unlock the bootloader on OnePlus 5/5T:
- At first setup ADB and FastBoot on your computer. The method is given below.
- Then turn on OEM unlock and USB debugging:
- Head over to your mobile Settings » About phone » and click “Build number” Seven/Ten times. This will turn on Developer options on your OnePlus 5.
- Now move to Settings » Developer options » and search for the “Enable OEM unlock” option, mark the checkbox located next to it.
- On the same page, also mark the USB debugging checkbox.
- Plug your phone into the computer and open a command window on the computer.
- Reboot your device into Bootloader/Fastboot mode after issuing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
└ Check your mobile screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it after choosing OK/Yes.
- Once it is successfully booted into Bootloader mode, issue the given command to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 5/5T:
fastboot oem unlock
└ It will successfully unlock the bootloader on your device and fully wipe your mobile while doing that. So keep in mind to backup everything important on your mobile before unlocking the bootloader.
- When the bootloader is unlocked, your phone will reboot automatically. If it asks for bootloader unlock permission on the device, then accept it.
That’s all. Your OnePlus 5/5T bootloader should be unlocked now and you can install/flash a custom recovery like TWRP on it.
How To Setup ADB & Fastboot:
- Download or install the latest ‘platform-tools’ (ADB & fastboot drivers) from Google from the given link here.
- Extract or unzip the content of the file. You will then get a folder known as ‘platform-tools’. So, this is the folder where you have files such as fastboot.exe or adb.exe.
- Then copy the required file(s) into the folder. However, if no file is needed, then just skip this step.
- Then, open a command window or PowerShell window here using the shift+right-tap trick.
- Execute the command.
Note: If you receive an error in the PowerShell window, then add .\ before the command without any space. (adb devices will add .\adb devices).
That’s all about it.
Download or install the TWRP recovery from the below links:
- OnePlus 5: TWRP 3.2.3-1 (find more variants here; in case 3.2.3-1 doesn’t work, try 3.2.3-0)
- OnePlus 5T: TWRP 3.2.3-1 (find more models here)
Simply install the TWRP then follow the root article below.
How To Root OnePlus 5/5T:
Don’t try anything given in this article if you don’t know what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be responsible.
The content given in this article is compatible only with the OnePlus 5/5T. Don’t try this on any other device as you might end up void your phone guarantee.
Steps To Install TWRP Or Root OnePlus 5/5T:
- Keep in mind you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device 5T (as mentioned above).
- Download the given files:
- Also, ensure that you have turned on USB Debugging on your OnePlus 5 device. You might want to re-do it after unlocking the bootloader.
- Plug your OnePlus 5 device into the computer using the USB cable that came with it.
- Then open a command window in the folder where you add the TWRP file from above. For this, head over to that folder, and then input cmd in the address bar of that folder’s window, and then press the enter key. A command window will open, and its location will be that folder.
- Then connect or attach your OnePlus 5 device to the computer. And input the following into the command window we opened in the above (step 5) to boot your mobile device into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
If you receive a permission dialogue on your OnePlus 5/5T to “Allow USB debugging”, click OK.
- When your OnePlus 5/5T boots into bootloader mode, specify the following command into the command window to flash the TWRP recovery .img file:
fastboot flash recovery <name of twrp file here>.img
- Then execute the command given below to reboot into recovery mode to ensure that the system doesn’t erase the TWRP upon reboot to Android.
fastboot boot <name of twrp file here>.img
- However, the device will reboot to recovery mode and you will then view TWRP recovery right there. Click on the ‘Keep Read Only’ button now to do not enable PC modifications.
- [Aviod this if using TWRP 3.2.3-1 on OnePlus 5.] In TWRP, click on Wipe, and then click on Format data option. Input yes on the other screen to confirm the removal of data. This will remove everything on the device.
- Attach your OnePlus 5 to your computer with the help of a USB cable and move the Magisk file or DM Verity disabler file to the device again as everything on the device is removed now.
- It’s time to root your OnePlus 5 device. Simply install the magisk file to root the device, but if you don’t need to root, you still want to install the DM Verity disabler file to secure the device from bootlooping when initiating to Android from TWRP.
- Move back to the home screen of TWRP and click on the Install button. You can then choose the Magisk file (or DM verity disabler if you don’t need to root), and confirm the installation on the other screen.
- Reboot now and your device will begin to Android. If you successfully installed Magisk, you can then verify root access on your device using a root checker app.
Reboot Into Recovery Mode To Access TWRP:
TWRP recovery should be successfully installed on your OnePlus device. If you want to boot into the freshly installed recovery, you can then use adb — then specify the adb reboot recovery command once you connect your device to the computer.
Or you can also use the manual mode to reboot into recovery mode as mentioned below:
- Switch off the device.
- Hit and hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until you view the OnePlus logo on the display screen. You will then view the TWRP soon.
Here’s all about ‘Root OnePlus 5/5t’. If you like this article then share it with others. Or else, if you want to share any other alternative method to root OnePlus 5/5t then let us know below!