Use Remote Desktop Credentials Windows 10
Well, on Windows 10, the Remote Desktop app is the new remote access experience available via the Microsoft Store. That has been designed to make it easier for anyone in order to connect and control another computer over the local network or internet whenever you need to work remotely from home. We are going to discuss Use Remote Desktop Credentials Windows 10.
But, relying on how you need to connect, the new modern app is only a piece of the puzzle. Because you must also configure additional settings and then forward the correct ports on the router to successfully connect to other Windows 10 devices remotely as well.
In this Windows 10 guide, we will walk you through the steps in order to configure your computer and network to allow remote connections. And also the steps to use the Remote Desktop app to start a remote session as well.
Turn on Remote Desktop for Windows 10 Pro
Well, the Remote Desktop or RDP feature is turned on by default so that you will need to turn on it in the settings. There are many ways to do this, let’s review the easiest one.
- First, open Settings
- Tap on System > Remote Desktop
- Press the toggle Enable Remote Desktop
- Then click Confirm when prompted
You can also turn on Remote Desktop via the System Properties. Tap on the Windows Key and Type: advanced system. Tap on View advanced system settings.
However, you can also turn on Remote Desktop using the System Properties. Just click the Windows Key and Type: advanced system. Tap on View advanced system settings.
Remote Into Your PC
You guys have a couple of choices whenever it comes to how you can remotely connect to the other computer. You can also use the traditional desktop app or the Remote Desktop universal app as well. Well, for this, I’m connecting to my Windows Home Server on my home network actually. I’m also going to use the app that you guys can install from the Store as well. It’s more versatile and you can also use it on mobile platforms including iOS and Android too.
Tip: If you guys have a lot of PCs and devices on your home network, a really useful free utility in order to use is Advanced IP Scanner.
- Open the app and type a name for the PC or device, its hostname or IP address, and choose Connect.
- Then enter the username and password that is used for the computer you are connecting into. Also, if you guys are going to remote into it often, then you have to check the box to remember your credentials.
- If you get the following security message, then click Go ahead and Connect and also check the box for it to not remind you again as well. You know what you’re doing, no reason for Windows to be constantly nagging you actually.
- There you can have it. You can now start using this remote computer for configuration, remote support, or however you need to use it as well.
I should also mention here that you can also go to Settings > connection settings in the app and then configure the appearance, devices, and make all other adjustments that work for you.
Turn on remote connections on the router | remote desktop credentials windows 10
If you guys have to access your device remotely over the internet, in addition to configuring the system properties. Then you will need to set up the local router in order to allow remote connections to past through. Also, you will have to know your public IP address to contact the remote computer over the internet as well.
Configure the static IP address on Windows 10
Mostly, computers inside a private network are actually assigned dynamic IP addresses. That basically means that they can change at any time. If you are using the remote desktop regularly, then I also recommend you to configure your computer along with a static IP address. So you do not have to reconfigure the port forwarding settings on the router each and every time the device receives a new address.
If you want to set a permanent IP address to your computer, use these steps:
- First, you guys have to open the Control Panel.
- Tap on Network and Internet.
- Then tap on Network and Sharing Center.
- Press the Change adapter settings option from the left pane.
- Right-tap the adapter connected to the network and choose the Properties option.
- Choose the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option.
- Press the Properties button.
- Then tap on the General tab.
- Choose the Use the following IP address option.
- Now specify a valid local IP address outside the local DHCP scope to avoid address conflicts. such as 10.1.2.
Tip: | remote desktop credentials windows 10
You will also find this information inside the DHCP settings section on your router. Mostly, routers have different interfaces, that actually means that you will need to consult your manufacturer site for more particular details. If you guys are not sure the configuration you have to use. Then you can use your current TCP or IP configuration as a reference. That you can find using the
ipconfig /all command in Command Prompt as well.
Specify a subnet mask for the network. In most home networks, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
- Specify the default gateway address, that is the IP address of the router. such as 10.1.2.1.
- Now under the “Use the following DNS server addresses” section, in the “Preferred DNS server” field, specify the IP address of your DNS server, that in most of the cases is the IP address of your router.
A quick tip: If you guys can’t really connect to the internet. Then you may want to try to use Google Public DNS addresses 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 for the “Preferred DNS server” and “Alternate DNS server” respectively.
- Tap on the OK button.
- Press the Close button.
After you complete all the steps, the new network configuration will then apply, and the IP settings won’t change over time as well.
Determine the public IP address | remote desktop credentials windows 10
Whenever you are trying to access a computer remotely over the internet. You will also need to know the public IP address of the network that basically includes the device.
In order to find the IP address of your connection that assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). Then you have to use these simple steps:
- You have to open any web browser.
- Then visit Bing.com or** Google.com**.
- Now search for “What’s my IP”.
- Then confirm your public IP address in the first result. as well
Mostly, for residential consumers, internet providers offer dynamic public IP addresses as well. That actually means that your public IP address may change from time to time as well.
If you guys need a more reliable solution, then there are services out there that offer Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS) services. For example, No-IP and DynDNS, which can track your public IP changes. Just like that, you can also contact your ISP to receive a static IP address (mostly) for an additional fee.
Unblock remote connection port
It is unlikely, however, if you are trying to connect over the internet, then it’s possible. That your internet provider may be actually blocking the port in order to allow remote desktop for security reasons. If this is the case, then you may want to contact them directly in order to see how you can open the specified port.
Alright, folks, I hope you like this “remote desktop credentials windows 10” article and understand now. If you have any issues and queries related to it, just comment down and let us know.