Way to Clean Install OS X Yosemite _ Guide Tutorial
Guys! When you are ready to install the OS X Yosemite (10.10), so then you guys have to download it from the Mac App Store. However, this version is able to help two primary/initial installation procedures: a clean install, that we display you the way to perform in this tutorial, & the more common upgrade install, which we will cover in detail in a separate step-by-step guide.
However, the clean process of installing the OS X Yosemite clears all the data from the destination drive & replaces it with the fresh, never-before-used data from the OS X Yosemite installer. Although all the data of user & any apps that you installed will be over.
Whilst the clean install option probably not sound just as an affectionate method in order to update a Mac to OS X Yosemite, it provides benefits that make it the favored update way for some Mac users.
The Advantages of Performing a Clean Install of OS X Yosemite
Whether your Mac is suffering from the frustrating issues that you have been unable to solve, just like the occasional freezes, unexpected shutdowns, apps that hang or look unusually slow, or worse overall working not attributed to hardware problems, a clean install probably is the best choice.
However, guys, many of these issues are also able to occur over the years of using your Mac. As you guys also upgrade systems & apps, debris gets left behind & files become large. Though this also causes slowdowns & probably corrupts some system files. Similarly, finding this little file debris is nearly impossible. Whether you experience these sorts of issues just with your Mac, the best clean sweep probably be the solution your Mac requires.
Occasionally, the solution may be worse than the issues. Performing a clean install removes all the data on the destination drive. Whether the destination is your startup drive, though that for most of us it will be, there goes your personal data, settings, preferences, & applications. But whether a clean install does solve the issues, the tradeoff probably is worth it.
Back-Up Your Data
Well, guys that no matter, which installation process you select, back up your data before proceeding. A current Time Machine backup is too lowest that you should have on hand.
Here, you should imagine making a clone of your startup drive. That way, whether anything terrible occurs, you are able to also quickly retrieve by beginning from the clone & be back where you begin, just without taking the time for restoring the data from a backup.
A replica is also a benefit when it is time to relocate your info to your current installation of OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite Migration Assistant also works with replicates drives. And allow you to easily move data you may require.
What You Need for a Clean Install of OS X Yosemite
Here is what you will have to perform a clean install:
- The Yosemite installer, present totally free download from the Apple website. Whether you guys are unable to find Yosemite in the store, examine the Purchase page. Whether you ever previously downloaded Yosemite, it will be listed there.
- However, the Mac meets the minimum requirements for OS X Yosemite.
- A current backup of your recent Mac startup drive.
- A startup drive that also has the OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or later. That you guys are willing in order to erase.
We explain OS X Snow Leopard just because it is the previous version of OS X which helps the Mac App Store. That you guys must be able to access to download the Yosemite installer.
Clean Install of OS X Yosemite: Start From the USB Flash Drive to begin the Process
However, by using the preliminary steps out of the way, so you are ready to download OS X Yosemite from the Mac App Store.
Whether you guys use a version of OS X that is older than Snow Leopard (10.6) & desire to upgrade to Yosemite. So then you guys must purchase & also install the OS X Snow Leopard before upgrading to OS X Yosemite.
- First of all, you have to organize the Mac App Store by tapping its icon in the Dock. Or double-tap the App Store app located underneath /Applications in Finder.
- Now you guys must have to navigate to the OS X Yosemite download page. Simply search the app store for Yosemite, or you should follow the download link on the OS X Yosemite upgrade page.
- At a time when you locate the OS X Yosemite app, choose the Download button. However, you guys probably are asked to sign in whether you have not complete so.
- At a time when the download is finished, the OS X Yosemite Install application organizes on its own. So you guys do not proceed with the installation. Rather quit the installer by choosing Quit Install OS X from the Install OS X menu.
Way to make a Bootable Version of the Yosemite Installer
Here that you guys also have the OS X Yosemite installer installed on your Mac, then you should make a bootable copy of the installer on a USB flash drive. However, you guys probably a bootable version of the installer. Just because you will remove your startup drive as part of the clean install method.
For clearing & reformat the startup drive, boot your Mac from another device. After all, all the OS X installers include Disk Utility & an assortment of other applications, starting from the Yosemite installer permits you to remove the startup drive & perform the actual installation, all from the exact USB flash drive.
Furthermore, at a time when you finish creating a bootable version of the OS X Yosemite installer, come back here in order to continue the clean install of OS X Yosemite.
Start From the USB Flash Drive
Well, you should abide by these steps in order to start the installer from a USB flash drive.
- Confirm the USB flash drive that you guys made in the step above is still plugged into the Mac. So you do not use a USB hub or plug the flash drive into the keyboard or as well as the display’s extra USB ports. Rather, plug the flash drive into any USB port on the Mac.
- Reboot the Mac whilst holding down the Option key.
- The OS X Startup Manager also visible on the display, simply displaying all the devices that you guys are able to also start the Mac from. So use the arrow keys in order to highlight the USB Flash Drive option. Next, you must press the Enter key to begin the Mac from the USB flash drive & also the OS X Yosemite installer. After a short time, you will also view the Yosemite installer’s Welcome screen.
- Now choose the language that you desire to use for the installation, then choose Continue. The OS X utility window also displays options for restoring a Time Machine Backup, Installing OS X, Getting Help Online, & by using the Disk Utility.
- Choose the Disk Utility, then choose the Continue. Disk Utility opens, with Mac’s drives listed in the left pane.
- Also here you should choose Mac’s startup drive, normally named Macintosh HD, then choose the Erase tab in the right pane.
You are about in order to remove your Mac’s startup drive & all of its contents. Confirm you have a recent backup of this data before proceeding.
- Now you have to use the Format scroll–down menu for making sure that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is selected, then choose Erase.
- You are asked whether you like to remove the Macintosh HD partition. Choose Erase.
- The startup drive is totally removed. At a time when the process is complete, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility menu. However, you come back to the OS X utility window.
Alright guys you are now ready to begin the OS X Yosemite installation method.
Clean Install of OS X Yosemite: Complete the Installation Process
In the prior steps, you guys removed Mac’s startup drive & come back to the OS X utility window. However, you guys are also now ready in order to complete the installation process by allowing the installer to copy the OS X Yosemite system files to your chosen startup drive.
At a time when everything is copied, so then your Mac reboots into Yosemite & you walk through launching your admin account, migrating data from a prior version of OS X, and further general housekeeping tasks.
- In the OS X utility window, choose the Install OS X, next choose the option Continue.
- The OS X utility window is forgotten, and the Install OS X app organizes Choose Continue.
- However, the Yosemite software licensing terms display. You guys should read through the licensing terms & choose the Agree.
- A panel displays, also asking you to declare that you read & also agree to the terms. Choose the Agree option once again.
- The installer also shows the drives you are also able to install OS X Yosemite on. Here highlight the drive that you guys like to be the OS X Yosemite startup drive, then choose the Install.
- The installer makes ready the Mac for the installation of OS X Yosemite in order to copy the files to the startup drive. At a time when the copying procedure is complete, the Mac begins. An ongoing estimate of the time remaining until the reboot displays during the file copy process. However, the first phase of the installation process, including the reboot, continues just without any input needed from you. It is not until after the reboot that you are asked in order to help set up Mac’s main configuration.
- At a time when the restart happens, so then the Mac also displays a new status message showing the time it will take to finish the installation process on the startup drive. Be prepared to wait.
- However, just with all the files copied, a second reboot also occurs. The Mac starts to OS X Yosemite, boots the setup assistant, & also displays a welcome screen.
Country for Installation
- Choose the country for the installation, then select Continue.
- Now choose the keyboard layout to use, then choose Continue.
- The Migration Assistant displays, permitting you to transfer personal data from a Mac, Time Machine backup, another startup disk, or a Windows PC. Here we suggest choosing the Don’t transfer any information now option. However, you guys are also able to always use the Migration Assistant later. Whether you like to transfer data to your recent installation of OS X Yosemite. One purpose for a clean install is to not have previous files present that probably have caused issues in the past. So choose the Continue.
- However, here you guys must have to sign in with your Apple ID. This optional sign-in preconfigures the Mac just to use the iCloud, iTunes, the Mac App Store, FaceTime, & other Apple-provided services. Whether you plan to use any of these services, so then signing in now is a time saver. Though, you guys are able to also skip this step. And sign in to those services later. We are also moving in order to assume that you like to sign in with your Apple ID. Fill in the requested info, then choose the Continue.
- Similarly, you’re asked whether it is fine to enable Find My Mac, a service that uses location info for finding a lost Mac, or to remove the contents of your Mac whether it’s stolen. Make your selection.
Use my iCloud account to login option
- It’s now time to make your administrator account. Simply you have to enter your full name & an account name also. The account name also becomes the name of your home folder & it is also known as the short name for the account. We also advise using an account name with no spaces, no special characters, and also no uppercase letters. Whether you like, so then you can also select to use your iCloud account as your sign-in method. Whether you check the Use my iCloud account to login option, so then you will also log in to your Mac by using the same details as your iCloud account. Make your selection, now choose Continue.
- OS X Yosemite also makes use of iCloud Keychain, a system of storing encrypted keychain data b/w enormous Macs on which you have accounts. The method of launching the iCloud Keychain system is a little bit involved.
- You are asked whether you wish to make use of iCloud Drive. So guys you don’t launch iCloud Drive whether you have to share iCloud data with a Mac running a previous version of OS X or iOS devices with iOS 7 or earlier. The current version of iCloud Drive is not compatible with previous versions.
Whether you enable iCloud Drive, all data saved in the cloud is changed to the new data format, stopping older OS X and iOS versions from using the data. Your Mac also completes the setup method & then displays your new OS X Yosemite desktop. Well, guys I also hope that you guys like the guide. If you have any queries so then you can ask us in the comments section below.
Also read this article: How to Make an OS X Yosemite Boot Installer USB Drive