Way to Organize a Windows XP Virtual Machine for Free
If it is for nostalgia or in order to run old software, there are advantages in order to run a Windows XP machine just for the right reasons. Clearly, it is not suggested just to run Windows XP as your only operating system, as it’s outdated, unsupported, and loaded with security risks. In this guide, you will learn the way to Organize a Windows XP Virtual Machine for Free.
Way to Organize a Windows XP Virtual Machine for Free
Luckily it’s completely possible to set up a Windows XP virtual machine just for free. Whilst the official processes just require a Windows 7 PC. However, you are also able to use Windows 10 & other operating systems. Though this method just requires a bit of a workaround. In order to get Windows XP running simply as a virtual machine, so you guys will also have to follow these instructions carefully.
See this article: Broken Registry ITems _Ways To Fix It!
Downloading Windows XP & Extracting Installation Files
To start just by using your Windows XP virtual machine. You guys will also need to use a PC running Windows 10, just with the virtualization turned on in the BIOS or UEFI settings. You are also able to use another operating system. But these instructions also have been created with Windows 10 in mind.
The operating system which you guys use will also have to be supported by VirtualBox. So then the software we will be using to run Windows XP.
- Whether your PC is ready to download the Windows XP Mode EXE file from the Microsoft website (named WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe). At a time when it is downloaded, don’t run the file. However, this XP installer is just supported by Windows 7, so we will just need to extract the files you will need from it to get XP just to run on Windows 10.
- Whether your PC does not already have it installed, so then download & install 7-Zip before you proceed. At a time when the 7-Zip is installed, so then you should locate your Windows XP installer file in Windows File Explorer, next right-click the file.
- From there, tap 7-Zip > Open archive > Cab to head to the EXE file in the 7-Zip File Manager.
- Now in the 7-Zip File Manager, you should double-click the Sources folder. Next to the double-click the xpm file. Though this will also open a second 7-Zip File Manager window just having your Windows XP virtual machine files.
- Choose the contents before clicking the Extract button.
- Select the suitable location for your files. You probably need to create a new folder before you perform this. At a time when you guys are ready, so then you must have to tap OK to extract the files to your PC.
- Here head to the folder containing your Windows XP files in Windows File Explorer. Now locate the VirtualXPVHD file, right-click > Rename, then must alter the name from VirtualXPVHD to VirtualXP.VHD, adding a period b/w XP and VHD.
Well, adding the VHD file extension simply alters this file to a virtual hard disk file, supported by VirtualBox, permitting you to run Windows XP as a virtual machine.
Organizing a Windows XP Virtual Machine by Using Virtual
After you have extracted your Windows XP download files, so then you are also ready to start setting it up as a virtual machine.
- First of all, you guys will just have to download & also install VirtualBox. At a time when you guys installed. You have to head to the VirtualBox and click the New button to start creating a new virtual machine.
- Here in the Create Virtual Machine window, tap the Expert Mode button at the bottom.
- You should type Windows XP in the Name box to automatically configure the settings to suit XP. Now double-check that the Version is set to Windows XP (32-bit). Next set the Memory Size to around 512MB or higher. Though you guys are also able to go higher, although XP will also be better with less.
- Here in the Hard Drive section of the Create Virtual Machine window. Simply select Use an existing hard disk file. Then press the folder icon next to it, then tap Add in the Hard Disk Selector window.
- Now you must locate the VirtualXP.VHD file, then tap Open to add it. At a time when the VirtualXP.VHD appears in the Hard Disk Selector window. Choose it, then press the Choose button.
- At a time when you guys have returned to the Create Virtual Machine window. So you should double-check your settings are correct before pressing the Create button.
Final VirtualBox Configuration and Windows XP Testing
Your recently created Virtual XP simulator will also there appear as a virtual machine in the VirtualBox Manager. So you will just have to make a few changes before you start running it, however.
- First of all, on the VirtualBox Manager, choose your XP virtual machine & tap the Settings button to start the configuration.
- Tap the System tab first. Underneath Boot Order, uncheck Floppy. Next reorder the items into the following order just by using the side arrows: Hard Disk, Optical, Floppy, Network.
- Tap the Display tab. Now increase the Video Memory from 16MB to 128MB just by using the slider in the Screen section.
- At a time when your settings are correct, so at that time you have to tap OK in order to save your Windows XP virtual machine settings. You are able to now run your XP machine for the first time by tapping the Start button.
Initial XP settings
- You guys will just have to make sure some initial XP settings. Though when you run XP for the first time as a virtual machine. Just like your keyboard layout & as well as the time zone. So make sure these settings at each stage just by pressing the Next button.
- Now offer your XP virtual machine a name, especially it will also provide an Administrator password. So you can also leave the password blank whether you would prefer. Simply tap Next to proceed.
- Just after making sure your time & as well as date settings, though the XP will complete the setup process and restart. At a time when this has completed, tap Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image in your VirtualBox window. Similarly, this will then install additional drivers & settings to make your XP encounter work well in VirtualBox.
- So then you have to follow the setup process, just by pressing Continue Anyway to any driver warnings that appear.
- However, now with VirtualBox Guest Additions installed, tap Finish to restart your XP virtual machine.
Therefore the Windows XP virtual machine that simply loads at this point able to also be used for 30 days as it lacks a valid license. Whether you guys can also find your Windows license key for Windows XP (just from a previous PC, for example). You probably be able to add it to your virtual machine directly, however, it probably still not activate.
In order to bypass this, you should create a snapshot of your virtual machine instantly after creating it.
- Herewith your XP virtual machine running, you must have to tap Machine > Take Snapshot. Then must give your initial Windows XP Snapshot a name before pressing the OK button.
- Whether you guys like to restore your virtual machine to this snapshot later. Then press the menu icon next to your XP virtual machine simply in VirtualBox Manager and choose the Snapshots. Simply choose your snapshot before pressing the Restore button.
Furthermore, Restoring your Windows XP virtual machine just by using a snapshot will also easily reset the clock. Permitting you to use XP indefinitely, however, you guys will then lose any files or software you have already installed after this point.
Manage the Current Operating Systems In VirtualBox to Organize a Windows XP Virtual Machine for Free
At a time when your thirty days are up, so do not forget to come back to your initial VirtualBox snapshot in order to reset the clock on your XP licensing whether you guys like to keep testing it.
You are also able to only do so much with a Windows XP simulator just like this. But whether you guys like to keep testing. Similarly, you can also try out other operating systems simply as VirtualBox virtual machines. For example, whether you like to offer the Linux a try, install Ubuntu in VirtualBox rather.
Also, see this article: Tips and Tricks to Record Audio On Windows 10
However, you are also able to use Windows 10 & other operating systems. Though this method just requires a bit of a workaround. In order to get Windows XP running simply as a virtual machine, so you guys will also have to follow these instructions carefully. Well, I hope you like this guide if you have any queries so then you can also ask us in the comments section below.