Ways to Backup Apps & Data without Root using Helium Android App to PC
The fundamental cause behind rooting your device is to be able to use Titanium Backup. Or a similar app to take a backup of apps with app-data, meaning app settings, game progress, etc. However, Android does not give a solution for backup of app-data, and none of the OEMs either. Here we will explain the Ways to Backup Apps & Data without Root using Helium Android App to a PC.
Thankfully, an app for this is there which would take apps and games backup for you. Without requiring root access at all, and you will just need a computer to organize it.
However, the app we are talking about is Helium and is made by Koush. He is popular in the Android blogosphere for his ClockworkMod recovery and other work.
What is the Function of Helium?
Helium is able to backup your apps by offering you a choice to back up data or APK files too. So the Helium is able to make a backup on your internal and external SD card. Or the online to your Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive after you connect it to the service.
It gets extremely helpful when you are looking to sync your app’s games. Literally, are the fun here across two or more devices. Similarly, just read the section below that is just mentioned below, Ways to Backup Apps & Data without root using Helium Android App.(Helium Backup to PC)
Although the Helium is not compatible with Motorola devices. And there are some problems with some devices of Sony’s too, especially Xperia S and Xperia Z. Similarly, as the helium developer says, Sony has turned back up off on these devices.
Must Read: Best Text-Based RPG Android Games – Review
What is .APK AND APP-DATA?
.APK works as an app installer file, like the. EXE for Windows. Similarly, it simply installs the apps, as if installed from the play store. Thoroughly fresh install.
However, App-data is the app’s data on your phone. It also includes the app’s settings fundamentally and other cache files. So, for games, it is your game progress — levels clear, item unlock, achievements, etc. stuff. And for apps, so let’s take an alarm app, for instance, it would alarm made by you, ringtones chose, etc. stuff.
Although the App-data does not include files saved on your SD card. E.g, whether you have installed an attachment from the Gmail Android app. So then it is not its data, and because it is saved on the computer. That you really do not require to back up these files.
As you will view that in step 3 that is mention below that ‘How to Backup Apps using Helium Android App’ (Helium Backup to PC) below. You are also able to choose and deselect the option App Data Only (smaller backups). After choosing the apps for backup, tell the app if the .apk files are being backed up or not along with the data of apps.
Use Helium to Make Backup of Apps
1. Turn On the USB Debugging
However, on Android 2.3 and below: Head to the devices’ Settings » Applications » Development. Now you have to choose the ‘USB debugging’ checkbox. Similarly, on Android 4.0 and above, follow this:
- Turn on developer options first:
- Head to your Settings » About device » then drop to the bottom. Click on “Build number” seven times to turn on developer options
- Enable USB Debugging:
- Go to the Settings » choose Developer options » Tick the “USB debugging” checkbox (under Debugging section)
2. Download Drivers
Without suitable drivers installed and functioning, it is totally impossible for this beauty that is known as Helium to work. Similarly, you have to, go to this page for drivers. Then you should download the driver for your device. (Helium Backup to PC)
- Google Nexus devices:
- Samsung devices:
- HTC devices: It is simple: download the .exe file and run it to install drivers.
- Sony devices: Download .exe file of the company’s PC companion, and then run it to install drivers.
- LG devices: Download this .exe file of LG drivers, and then run it to install drivers.
- Motorola devices: → Download this .exe file of Moto drivers, run it to install drivers.
- Asus devices: Download this file, extract it, and then install it using this guide for Nexus 5 — as the process is very similar.
- Huawei devices: Download this file, extract it,
- ZTE devices: Download it also.
- Micromax devices
- Universal Drivers Guide
3. Confirm Drivers
For this, you have to, first of all, connect your android device to a PC. It should show up in My Computer if the drivers are correctly installed. However, this is not a very foolproof method to check, it is good.
To make sure that drivers are working 100%, connect your device to your Windows PC. So then open the device manager on the computer. Look for an entry, named, either of Android USB Device or ADB Interface. That is your device. If drivers are installed accurately and are fully functioning. So then there should not be a small yellow triangle with an exclamation sign on the device’s tab.
Furthermore, if it is there, so then it means that drivers were not installed accurately.
4. Install Helium Android App
For this head to the Play Store listing (here) on either computer or on phone using this link and install the app.
5. Install Helium PC Software
Here you have to just download the Helium for your desktop. Similarly, select between Windows, Mac, or Linux, whichever OS you got. However, now on Windows PC, just tap the CarbonSetup.msi file to start the installation and finish it. So you have to here restart your PC.
6. Turn On the Application Backup
Although this is an essential part. That involves establishing a connection between the Helium Android app and its computer equivalent. At one time when this is completed, Application Backup obtains turned on, on your device. And you are also able to start backing up apps.
- Firstly you have to head to the Helium on the computer. (Perhaps it might be already ON and running in the background as it is set to auto-start with Windows when you power on the computer.) View the screenshot that is mentioned below, so that it will look like this. Let’s move on.
- Secondly, here you have to open the Helium app on your Android device. Then click on the Helium’s icon in the app drawer. Similarly, it will then ask you to connect to your Google account for online backups to your account. Which is optional. Although if you will cancel it, then it will just say that it is a no issue. And that you are able to take backups on the device’s USB storage.
Also Read: How To Fix No Data Received Error In Chrome
Restoring Helium backup from your Google account needs a premium version of the app (costing $4.99). Simply now choose it only if you plan to buy a paid version or already have it. Not good otherwise. So, you are able to ignore it whether you like to.
So that said, it is immensely helpful to have backup online on your Google account. Similarly, when you are looking to backup from one device and restore on another device of yours.
- However, on rooted devices, Helium will look for root access. So if it finds just one, then it will ask for Superuser permission to have root access. Whether Helium is given with root access. That’s why there is no need for anything further to complete. Similarly, now you have to choose the apps for backup and start to back them up.
But as we all are focusing on non-root backup solutions here. So let’s view more in the case of non-root devices. See the next step as you’re probably not rooted.
- A welcome screen will appear. Simply click on OK. Now see the next steps.
- Moreover, it is time to connect the Helium Android app to Helium PC software using the USB cable. Here you have to connect, and then just wait.
- So now the Helium PC software and the app would communicate with each other. And when the connection has been made all fine, then the desktop software will display the tick sign, as shown below.
- However, whether the connection is not created, so you have to now try the PTP mode. Especially for the Nexus line of devices: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 5, etc.
- Similarly, if PTP mode also fails you, then there is firmly an issue with drivers. Here try to re-install the drivers. Thus confirm to uninstall current drivers, if any, then reboot and then re-install drivers.
- Furthermore, at one time you get the above on Helium desktop. Then you are able to easily shut the PC software and disconnect the device too. Similarly, the active connection with the PC is not needed for backup and restore. Just only when you Power Off your android device, will you have to connect with Helium desktop software again, not otherwise.
7. Way To BackUp Apps Using The Helium Android App
- Although now, the simple part, which was worth all this. Taking backup of apps with their data. Head to the Helium app on your Android device.
- Choose the Apps that you desire to back up.
- Now you are also able to swipe up from below (try from that blue line) to view the options as regards backup. Now, let’s discuss backing up with its .apk file and without .apk file:
Data Backup Only:
Similarly, if you are desiring to take back up of data only of the apps, so then you have to swipe up. Keep the checkbox of the option App Data Only (smaller backups) selected, which it is by default. So in this case, Helium will ask you to download the app from Play Store and after that, the app will restore data. Thus, the app/game will be exactly as it was at the time of backup. It is fine especially for online backups, as the size is small compare to full backups.
Whilst, if you are desiring to back up both the .apk file and data of apps. So you can easily deselect the checkbox of option “App Data Only (smaller backups)”. Similarly, in this case, both the app and app’s data will restore without any requirements to install it from the play store. Moreover, if you have enough space on your device’s internal/external memory. Simply then select this option as it gives full backup and restores. Obviously, it is not good for Online backups and restores as its backup size is big.
- After you have selected apps for the backup. So click on Backup to begin backing up the data of apps, or. APK installation files too. That is just depending on whether you select or deselect the checkbox discussed above.
- Similarly, the app will ask for storage to be used. Here select one.
- After this, a black screen will appear with space to enter a password. Take no notice of it it. Simply it will go anyway in a matter of seconds. And backup progress will display.
That’s now completed!
Related Article: How to Perform Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T Root
Helium Backup to PC-Conclusion
The basic reason behind rooting your device is to be able to use Titanium Backup. Or a similar app to take a backup of apps with app-data, meaning app settings, game progress, etc. However, Android does not give a solution for backup of app-data, and none of the OEMs either. Here we have explained the Ways to Backup Apps & Data without Root using Helium Android App to a PC.
I hope you will like this article the most. In case of any queries then you can ask us in the comments below.