Why Won’t iTunes Download On My PC
Since Apple released iTunes for Windows back in 2003, it has now become one of the most famous music programs on the platform. Much of this is attributed to the success of Apple’s iPod and iPhone as well. Well, even though iTunes has also become a staple of most PCs, it has also earned a reputation as a despised piece of software as well. We are going to discuss Why Won’t iTunes Download On My PC.
That said, a lot of users, that includes me, still use it. I use it to manage my music library, import new content, create a playlist, and then sync along with my Apple devices. With the release of Windows 10, most of the users also reporting problems with getting it to upgrade from older versions or install successfully. Let’s have a look at some tips to ensure you get it working correctly.
Why Won’t iTunes Download On My PC
Install iTunes on Windows 10
First, you need to follow these basic pre-requisites:
- Close the iTunes if it’s open. iTunes has a tendency to stay resident in memory so that a reboot is likely recommended for that. Also, turn off iTunes Helper from starting up along with Windows.
- If you have any Apple devices attached to your PC, then you need to disconnect them for the moment as well.
- Make sure to download the right architecture (32 or 64-bit) for your PC here. The download page defaults to your architecture, however, if you were previously running a 32-bit version of Windows. However, then switched to 64-bit Windows 10, the 32-bit installer might be a factor that’s why it is not working properly.
- You need to save the setup file to the hard disk, do not run setup from its current location.
- Right-tap on the iTunes setup file then tap on Run as administrator.
- Press Next then click Install.
Troubleshoot iTunes Installation
If iTunes does not install successfully, then there are some of the things that you can try.
Start with uninstalling any existing installation of iTunes. Tap Windows key+R then type: appwiz.cpl and click Enter. Scroll down and choose iTunes then click Uninstall on the command bar as well. Also, make sure that you uninstall other Apple software components listed. For example Apple Application Support, Mobile Device Support, Software Update, and Bonjour as well. Restart your computer whenever the uninstall is complete.
Now proceed to download iTunes from Apple’s website then follow the pre-requisite instructions to install iTunes.
Also, turn off your Antivirus temporarily because some security utilities can incorrectly flag iTunes as malicious software too. If you encounter errors along with the Windows Installer, then you could try to re-register the Windows Installer then attempt the install again.
- Tap on Windows key+R
- Then type: msiexec /unreg then click Enter key
- Press the Windows key+R
- Now type: msiexec /regserver then press Enter key
The dedicated Apple Software Update manager is another way users can update iTunes and many other Apple software like iCloud. I have used it many times to get the latest version of iTunes as well.
Download iTunes for older video cards
Users have also reported that you can fix this problem through downloading and installing iTunes for older video cards. If you want to do that follow these steps:
- You should download iTunes 12.2.1.for Windows.
- Run the setup file and then install iTunes.
- After the installation is complete then start iTunes and check for updates.
- Follow the instructions and then download the latest version.
This is also a useful workaround and many users reported that it works, therefore make sure that you try it.
Delete all iTunes related keys from the registry
- Tap on Windows Key + R and enter Regedit. Tap Enter or click OK.
- Click Ctrl + F enter itunes6464.msi and tap Find Next.
- You should see keys related to itunes6464.msi. Right-click every key and select Delete.
- Tap Ctrl+F and click Find Next in order to find another key related to itunes6464.msi. Delete that key. Repeat this step until you delete all keys associated along with itunes6464.msi.
Users also reported that related keys are mostly the following:
This is an advanced procedure, and through changing the registry that you can cause system stability issues, therefore we advise extra caution actually.
Plus, it might be a good idea that you create a backup of your registry in case any problems occur actually.
Keep in mind that you will probably get different results on your PC, however, the procedure is the same. Just right tap on 477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C77B3B56 key in the left pane, and select Delete from the menu.
Run the setup as administrator
If iTunes won’t install on Windows 10 then you have to install it as administrator.
To do that just simply find the setup file, right-click it and then select Run as administrator from the menu.
Just like that, you can use Command Prompt to do that, just follow these steps:
- Tap on Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
- When Command Prompt opens, you then have to enter the location of the setup file and tap on Enter. We used
c:\users\your_user_name\downloads\itunes6464.exeas the location of the setup file, but keep in mind that that location might be different on your PC as well.
Try to Install iTunes in compatibility mode
- Locate the iTunes setup file, right-click it, and select Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and then check Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Choose Windows 7 or any other older version of Windows from the list. Now tap on Apply and OK in order to save changes.
Most of the time iTunes won’t install on Windows 10 because of compatibility issues. This is a minor problem and you can easily fix it simply through running the setup file in compatibility mode actually.
If All that Fails | why won’t iTunes download on my pc
Then you can try to install iTunes using Ninite. It will package the iTunes installer along with any other apps that you might want; it basically handles updates, too.
All of these recommendations seem over the top for this type of a small app, however, iTunes is not the simple 18 MB installer of 2003. It has actually become a huge albatross over the years; turning into an app that does many things, however, none very well. Hopefully, if you have to use iTunes or prefer using it, these simple tips can get it working successfully on Windows 10 as well.
The service is absolutely free, and after creating an application bundle via Ninite, users were able to install iTunes on their PC. This is actually a simple workaround, and many users reported that it worked for them, so make sure to try it out.
Alright, folks, I hope you like this “why won’t iTunes download on my pc” article and understand now. If you have any issues and queries related to it, just comment down and let us know.